Masters in computer science or Masters in applied statistics?

In summary: Do you hope to work on the more theoretical side? Then maybe statistics is better. The people I know have a PHD in either statistics or probability (or combined). But It's not like it isn't possible with a Masters/PHD in comp sci. The professor I know takes on many masters and pHD students on topics related to machine learning through the CS department.
trickslapper
Crap. I couldn't get everything i wanted in my topic title.

Anywho, I'm wondering which masters degree would be better for a career in machine learning / smart data while still keeping other - traditional options available? I would love to do a double major and earn both graduate degrees but I'm pretty sure that's impossible with a full time job (if it's not impossible it will take too long for me).

I've read a lot about this and I have mixed feelings. I've seen some people say that if you have an undergraduate degree in computer science then a Masters in Statistics/Math/Physics leads to a powerful combination.

What would you guys suggest? If it helps i have my bachelor degrees in computer science and math and currently work as a software developer (so i plan on going to school part time for right now)

Physics news on Phys.org
My significant others Father is a professor at the University of Alberta in Computing Science. He publishes a lot in Machine learning. Formally, he is trained in Applied Mathematics and I think he considers this a huge advantage. He takes on a lot of graduate students and I think he is often frustrated with the level of math students enter with. Many students coming from computing science graduate programs lack the proper mathematics background and he spends a lot of time teaching them mathematics or giving them mathematics to learn. That is just one perspective though.

Theorem. said:
My significant others Father is a professor at the University of Alberta in Computing Science. He publishes a lot in Machine learning. Formally, he is trained in Applied Mathematics and I think he considers this a huge advantage. He takes on a lot of graduate students and I think he is often frustrated with the level of math students enter with. Many students coming from computing science graduate programs lack the proper mathematics background and he spends a lot of time teaching them mathematics or giving them mathematics to learn. That is just one perspective though.

What level of mathematics do you need to be able to have such a career in machine learning?

That link is awesome. I think i'll go through the rest of the pdfs on that website. But back to my original question.. do you think an MS in CS or Stats is better for a career in machine learning? I would love to get both of them and sometimes i lean towards the Stats and then other times i lean towards the CS.

trickslapper said:
That link is awesome. I think i'll go through the rest of the pdfs on that website. But back to my original question.. do you think an MS in CS or Stats is better for a career in machine learning? I would love to get both of them and sometimes i lean towards the Stats and then other times i lean towards the CS.

Do you hope to work on the more theoretical side? Then maybe statistics is better. The people I know have a PHD in either statistics or probability (or combined). But It's not like it isn't possible with a Masters/PHD in comp sci. The professor I know takes on many masters and pHD students on topics related to machine learning through the CS department. A neat option (possibly very beneficial) is to get a masters in statistics/probability (you could even focus on something related to machine learning), and then go for a pHd in a computer science department !

I don't hope to work on the theoretical side. But i would like to know some theory so i sort of understand what I'm doing when i do hands on work (hopefully one day). I added a couple of classes to my coursera watchlist that relate to machine learning/data science so maybe those will help me make a better decision.

THose will, and you should ask the professors too for those classes if you get a chance. Knowing the theory can be a huge advantage, although my opinion is a little biased- coming from pure Math. Good luck : )

1. What is the difference between a Master's in Computer Science and a Master's in Applied Statistics?

A Master's in Computer Science focuses on the technical aspects of computer systems, programming languages, and software development. On the other hand, a Master's in Applied Statistics focuses on using statistical methods and models to analyze data and make informed decisions. While both degrees may involve some overlap in coursework, they have different areas of emphasis.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in Computer Science or Applied Statistics?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government. With a Master's in Computer Science, you may pursue roles such as software developer, data analyst, or systems engineer. With a Master's in Applied Statistics, you may pursue roles such as data scientist, market researcher, or business analyst.

3. What skills will I gain from a Master's in Computer Science or Applied Statistics?

A Master's in Computer Science will equip you with skills in programming, algorithm design, database management, and software development. A Master's in Applied Statistics will provide you with skills in data analysis, statistical modeling, and data visualization. Both degrees will also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Computer Science or Applied Statistics?

The duration of a Master's program can vary depending on the school and whether you are attending full-time or part-time. Typically, a Master's in Computer Science takes 2-3 years to complete, while a Master's in Applied Statistics can be completed in 1-2 years. Some schools may also offer accelerated programs or online options that can shorten the duration of the degree.

5. Do I need a background in computer science or statistics to pursue a Master's in Computer Science or Applied Statistics?

While having a background in these fields can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many Master's programs in Computer Science or Applied Statistics accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, and may offer foundational courses to help students catch up on any necessary knowledge. It is important to check with individual schools to see their specific requirements for admission.