Master's in Engineering Without Engineering Undergrad

In summary: I'll be sure to check back with you later.In summary, switching to an engineering management focus in an MS program might help a person get a job in engineering, but it is not guaranteed. Pursuing a job in business analyst would be a realistic goal. There may be shortages in control theory, so pursuing an engineering management concentration in control systems might make the person eligible for entry level engineer jobs.
Mathos
Hi,

My undergrad degree is sort of nebulous; mostly math and physics, with some graduate math thrown in. I'm enrolled in UW Platteville's MS Engineering program for the Engineering Management emphasis. Although I'm impressed with the courses I've taken so far, I know that getting a job as a proper engineer is likely not possible given my non-engineering undergrad. I'd like to be able to break into an entry level systems, business analyst, project management, or IE-type role, but I've heard from friends (in government/government contractor jobs, which is where I'd like to work) that the lack of an engineering qualification would give my resume the old garbage toss.

I thought I'd see if:
a) Switching to an emphasis in control systems would make the degree more valuable. I know I said I'd rather do more systems-type stuff, but getting a job outweighs all that.

b) Anyone has or knows anyone or has a master's in EM without an engineering BS and/or knows about UW Platteville's program
Here is the page listing degree requirements:

https://www.uwplatt.edu/distance-education/ms-engineering-degree-requirements

Physics news on Phys.org
I think everyone I know with an engineering management masters has an engineering undergrad. But if you are trying to be a project manager, you will still be a giant step ahead of a PM who has just a business degree, which you do see in corporate America.

It's a large first step, so getting your first job may be a bit of a challenge, but once you get it, you'll have a faster track up the corporate ladder.

Remember, when you are a project manager of larger projects it isn't possible to have all of the expertise of all of the disciplines you are managing and having a strong background in one of those areas doesn't help you with the others. What is imoprtant is a technical brain to understand problems you've never seen before, an analytical brain to make good decisions and people and communication skills to execute them (the decisions, not the people).

Thanks for responding. I think I've heard of one other person (on a forum, not even in real life) getting an EM master's without an engineering undergrad. I forgot to ask of that guy got a job afterwards...

Project management is something I'd definitely be interested in, but I assumed there would be a lower rung job before getting there. Would pursuing jobs with the 'business analyst' title be realistic? I suppose right now I'm a little worried about which search terms I'd enter into a job board (which, now that I say it, reminds me of what a strange world we live in).

Also, I think I may have a developing interest in control theory. I've heard there are shortages in the field, so do you think switching my concentration-- which is only a three course sequence--- to control systems might make me eligible for entry level controls engineer jobs?

I would think the answer to both questions is "yes", but they are a bit too specific for my experience to be relevant.

Ok, thanks again.

1. What is a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree?

A Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree is a graduate program that allows students to pursue a Master's degree in engineering without having an undergraduate degree in engineering. This program is designed for students who have a background in a related field and wish to transition into engineering.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree?

The admission requirements for a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree may vary by program, but most often, students are required to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. Some programs may also require specific prerequisite courses in engineering or a minimum GPA.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of engineering with a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree?

Yes, many programs offer specializations or concentrations in specific areas of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering. These specializations allow students to focus their studies on a particular field and gain expertise in that area.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree?

The length of the program may vary, but most Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree programs can be completed in 2-3 years. This may also depend on whether a student is attending full-time or part-time.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree?

Graduates with a Master's in Engineering without an Engineering Undergrad degree may pursue careers in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, technology, and research. Some common job titles include engineering project manager, process engineer, design engineer, and research and development engineer.