1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's vs PhD

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching graduate schools in mathematics. I would like to go for a PhD. My question is, do I apply directly to the PhD program? Or do I apply to the Master's program and apply for the PhD afterwards? What do people normally do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Different schools have different policies, you may want to read through the application page of the places you're applying to, to figure it out.

4. May 29, 2015 #3
    Usually you do an MSc first, but some places like in the US you don't do a masters but you do something inbetween called graduate school. You are basically paying to follow courses that won't give you a degree but that do give you the oppertunity to apply for an unpaid job leading to a PhD. It's rather strange, if you ask me. Glad that where I live I do get a degree after paying tuition and working hard and I do get paid/build pension durign my PhD.

5. May 29, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you get that from? There are many options in the US where you do a masters and then apply to a PHD program from the same or different school.

6. May 29, 2015 #5
    If you want to quit your PhD track, you sometimes get an MSc, true.

Or you mean engineering?

7. May 29, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you can also do a masters first and then apply for a PHD, or in some cases you can apply directly to the PHD. There are at least 500 schools offering graduate programs but there are no uniform rules governing all, nor even most of them. Are you, OP, applying in the US?

8. May 29, 2015 #7
    In the US, people normally go straight from undergrad to PhD. In Europe, as an example, usually undergrads do a Masters followed by the PhD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook