1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material opaque to IR but transparent to visible light

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I want to get some sort of polymer that is opaque to infrared (absorbs wavelengths above 700 nm very well) but transparent to visible light (does not absorb much light below 700 nm).

Does this even exist without being a meta material?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's wrong with glass with a blue filter on it?

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    Thanks. What is the blue filter? What material is it, are there any links you can point me to? I appreciate it.

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Is there a reason you want it to absorb instead of reflect (google 'hot mirror')?

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is a light filter that is blue. If you Google "blue filter" there are 610 million hits.

7. Feb 23, 2015 #6
    Hot mirror is a great suggestion. I just want to make an area invisible to an IR camera but visible to a normal camera.

By the way I was googling around and someone says to spray Copper II sulfate on a piece of glass and that will do the trick. I don't mind the blueish tint and I might give it a try. Does it sound like a bad idea?

I didn't know blue colored plastic/glass will necessarily absorb IR. Thought it would just absorb visible red. I'll give those a try too, got an infrared LED I could see with my phone camera to test it out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  8. Feb 23, 2015 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

What range of IR?

9. Feb 24, 2015 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook