Math behind the Fresnel lens

Homework Statement: what is the mathematical explanation for fresnel lenses
Homework Equations: No equations were provided

I'm gonna post a link to one article I found that I think has the answer, but I couldn't understand because of my lack of knowledge in physics and math.

Klystron

Gold Member
:welcome:If you have difficulty understanding the math in the link you posted, perhaps reading about Fresnel lens applications will help your understanding. This wikipedia article describes the design and history of visible light lenses.

Similar lens antennas guide microwaves in the radio frequency (RF) section of the electromagnetic spectrum. Notice the similar geometries of lighthouse lenses and microwave antennas, suggesting the underlying mathematics.

berkeman

Mentor
(Note -- thread moved from the Homework Help forums, since it does not seem to be a homework-type question)

berkeman

Mentor
:welcome:If you have difficulty understanding the math in the link you posted, perhaps reading about Fresnel lens applications will help your understanding. This wikipedia article describes the design and history of visible light lenses.

Similar lens antennas guide microwaves in the radio frequency (RF) section of the electromagnetic spectrum. Notice the similar geometries of lighthouse lenses and microwave antennas, suggesting the underlying mathematics.
Thanks Klystron! I'll give these links a try. If more doubts come I'll make sure to post here again.

Welcome to the PF, Lucas! :smile:

Can you say a bit more about your physics and math background? Have you had algebra? How about trigonometry? And have you learned about Snell's Law yet?

:smile:
Thanks berkeman!
My Knowledge in these areas is moderate, my university course don't have much focus on these subjects so I end up forgetting about things. The Senll's Law I actually studied just to try solve the question, still didn't understood how the article came up with that 5 first equations only from the snell law...
In the moment I'm currently taking an online course in optical physics to be able to resolve this question, but I feel like I'm still missing something...