Math cake Ideas Answer before 11 pm on 3-10-2010

• Thread starter Adi123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, there are many creative ideas for a math cake such as using the concept of "pie are square" in a cherry pie, creating a Towers of Hanoi themed layer cake, or showcasing the Towers of Hanoi puzzle with cupcakes. Other ideas include using mathematical symbols or proofs without words to decorate the cake. The options are endless and can be tailored to fit any mathematical concept. Just make sure to have fun with it and let your creativity shine!
Adi123
Math cake! Ideas Answer before 11 pm on 3-10-2010..

Can u help me? I need a great idea for a math cake. Please help me, i have been racking my brains! If u answer, write in detail please...

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Does it have to be a cake?

If you baked a cherry pie in a square tin you could label it "pie are square".

Make a layer cake (layers progresively smaller like a wedding cake) with a dowel running through the center. Bring two empty plates each with a similar dowel and announce nobody gets a piece until The Towers of Hanoi is solved.

Adi123 said:
Can u help me? I need a great idea for a math cake. Please help me, i have been racking my brains! If u answer, write in detail please...

Sounds like school work. What is the context of your question? What are your ideas so far?

Then again, there's Fermat's Little Torte.

Start with a 5x5x5 cube of cupcakes.

Remove one corner column (1x1x5) and note the remaining cupcakes can be divided by 3 (24 1x1x5 columns).

Reassemble into a 4x4x4 cube.

Remove another corner column and note they can still be divided by 3 (15 1x1x4 columns).

Reassemble as a 2x2x2 cube, remove a corner column and they are still divisible by 3 (3 1x1x2 columns).

When someone says "Hey, what about the 3x3x3 cube?", you sheepishly admit you can't do that because the 8 remaining 1x1x3 columns can't be divided by 3. And then amaze them by dividing the cube into three equal layers!

If everyone hasn't overrun the table to grab a cupcake by now, demonstrate it works in two dimensions also.

berkeman said:
Sounds like school work. What is the context of your question? What are your ideas so far?

hahaha

current ideas:
sigma
pie symbol (too much used)
can spell stuff out in iceing or bubble gum

How about a proof without words?

Barile has a nice one for pentagonal numbers at MathWorld.

There are many good ones for the Pythagorean Theorem; here is one of the oldest known:
china_proof.jpg

(expanation here).

More examples:
http://www.usamts.org/About/U_Gallery.php
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ProofWithoutWords12N1NChoose2/
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/8846/proofs-without-words

1. How can I incorporate math into a cake design?

There are many ways to incorporate math into a cake design. You can use mathematical symbols or equations as decorations, create a cake in the shape of a geometric figure, or use different colored frosting to represent different mathematical concepts.

2. Can you provide some examples of math-themed cakes?

Some examples of math-themed cakes include pi-shaped cakes, cakes with equations written in frosting, or cakes with geometric patterns on top.

3. Do I need to have advanced math skills to make a math-themed cake?

No, you do not need to have advanced math skills to make a math-themed cake. There are many simple designs and decorations that can be incorporated into a cake without requiring advanced mathematical knowledge.

4. How can I make a 3D cake that represents a mathematical concept?

To make a 3D cake that represents a mathematical concept, you can use cake molds or carve the cake into the desired shape. You can also use frosting and fondant to add details and make the cake look more realistic.

5. Are there any specific tools or ingredients I need to make a math-themed cake?

There are no specific tools or ingredients required to make a math-themed cake. However, if you want to add precise mathematical symbols or equations, you may want to invest in cake stencils or edible printing materials. Otherwise, you can use regular baking tools and ingredients to create a math-themed cake.