Exploring the Properties of f(x) with f'(-1)=f'(1)=0

• Thread starter JustinJS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the original function is a mountain parabola with vertex at -1. It goes through (-1,4) and has c1, c2, and c3 as its parameters.
JustinJS
ok here is a good one i found
a) f'(-1)=f'(1)=0
b) f'(x)<0 when -1<x<1
c) f'(x)>0 when x<-1 and x>1
d) f(-1)=4; f(1)=0; and f(0) has no value
e) f''(x)<0 when x<0 and f''(x)>0 when x>0
what is the original f?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure f(-1) = 4 and not f(-1) = -4?

Are you sure your not just asking us to do your homework :uhh: ?

Does this even have a unique solution? You've mostly given inequalities, so I suspect not.

Let's look at the interval (<,-1]
f'(-1)=0, the graph is horizontal at x=-1
f'(x)>0 when x<-1. It is increasing all the way to x=-1
f(-1)=4, goes through the point (-1,4)
e) f''(x)<0 when x<0. And is concave.

Well, I can think of one function in this region which satisfies it. A mountain parabola like -(x-a)^2+b. The vertex should be at -1, so that gives a. It goes through (-1,4) so this gives b.
Surely you can find more functions. It doesn't even matter whether we 'compress' the graph to the line x=-1, so -k(x-a)^2+b works just as well for any k>0.

idk it was on a quiz in (AP calc) i had the other day and i got it wrong and was wonder if anyone could get an answer for it.

I guessed the following solution

F(x) = c1x^-1 + c2 x + c3

You can check it all works out, minus one problem (as I mentioned above) the condition f(-1) =4 clashes with the concavity conditions on f''.. C1 needs to be strictly positive.

Nor would it be unique, the inverse power term works so long as its power is odd.

so try something like

f = x^-1 +x -2

1. What is f(x)?

F(x) is a mathematical function that relates an input value (x) to an output value. It can be represented as an equation, graph, or table.

2. What does f'(x) mean?

F'(x) represents the derivative of f(x), which is the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It gives us information about the slope of the function at that point.

3. What does f'(-1)=f'(1)=0 tell us about the function?

This tells us that the function has a horizontal tangent line at x=-1 and x=1. In other words, the slope of the function is 0 at these points, indicating that the function is either at a peak or a valley.

4. How can we use f'(-1)=f'(1)=0 to explore the properties of f(x)?

By knowing that the function has a horizontal tangent line at x=-1 and x=1, we can determine the behavior of the function at these points. We can also use this information to find the critical points and to analyze the concavity of the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of exploring the properties of f(x) with f'(-1)=f'(1)=0?

Some real-world applications include analyzing the speed of a moving object at specific points, determining the maximum and minimum values of a function, and understanding the shape of a curve in a graph. It can also be used in economics, engineering, and physics to model and predict various phenomena.