Math/FARM or CS at Waterloo: Which program offers better career options?

• Thread starter mhz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which program to choose between Computer Science and Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management. They do not want responses based on their passions or biases, but rather comments on the programs themselves. The speaker also mentions that one factor to consider is the career options each major provides, with Computer Science offering a broader range of job opportunities. Based on this, the conclusion is to go with Computer Science.
mhz
Hey guys, I'm really struggling to decide which of these two offers I should accept.

1) Computer Science
2) Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management

I don't want to give a lot of details on my current stance on the decision as I've found that it tends to get me answers such as "go with what you're passionate about" or gives off a bias in others' opinions on the programs.

I'm looking for any comments you guys may have on either program and which one, if given the choice, you would prefer. Thanks a lot to anyone who replies, this is a big decision and I appreciate your advice! :)

NOTE: I'm not just going with whatever you guys tell me to go with, the reason I don't like answers that say "go with what you're passionate about" is that I already know this and I'm trying to get information that I can use to make the right decision.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the things to consider at the moment are the career options each of the major provide. If you think about it, if you choose Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management, you'd be narrowing down your career options quite a lot. Whereas on the other hand, Computer Science would provide a much broader choice of jobs. So I'd say go with Comp Science.

What is the difference between Math, FARM, and CS at Waterloo?

Math stands for Mathematics, FARM stands for Financial Analysis and Risk Management, and CS stands for Computer Science. All three programs are offered at the University of Waterloo, but they have different focuses and requirements. Math focuses on pure mathematics and its applications, while FARM combines math, finance, and computing for a career in finance. CS focuses on computer systems and software development.

What are the career opportunities for a Math/FARM/CS graduate from Waterloo?

Graduates from these programs have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as finance, technology, data analysis, education, and research. Some common job titles for Math graduates include mathematician, actuary, and data analyst, while FARM graduates may become financial analysts, risk managers, or investment bankers. CS graduates can pursue careers as software engineers, web developers, data scientists, and more.

What sets the Math/FARM/CS program at Waterloo apart from other universities?

The University of Waterloo is known for its strong reputation and innovative approach to education. The Math/FARM/CS programs at Waterloo have a strong focus on hands-on learning, co-operative education, and experiential learning opportunities. The university also has a high rate of job placement for its co-op students, giving graduates a competitive edge in the job market.

Can I switch between Math, FARM, and CS programs at Waterloo?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these programs at Waterloo, but it may depend on your academic performance and the availability of spots in the desired program. Students can apply for an internal transfer after completing their first year of studies. It is important to consult with academic advisors and plan ahead to ensure a smooth transition.

What is the workload like for a Math/FARM/CS student at Waterloo?

The workload for these programs can be demanding, as they require a strong foundation in math and computer science. Students can expect to have a mix of lectures, tutorials, assignments, and exams. The co-op program also adds to the workload, as students alternate between academic terms and work terms. Time management and study skills are crucial for success in these programs.