Math Levels for different Physics Courses

In summary, the speakers discuss the importance of linear algebra in studying Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and String Theory. They mention that linear algebra is a fundamental mathematical formalism for QM and that any physicist with a respectable education will have taken courses in it. They also mention that linear algebra and differential equations are equally important in these studies.
sr6622
I am currently in Cal AB and will hopefully study through Cal BC this year. I am raelly interested in Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and String theory.

I just wanted to know what level of math I will need to study Quantum, relativity, and string theory in depth.

Like Diff Q's, Partial Diff Q's?

I just want to know so I have some mathematical direction...

BTW, Cal BC is like Cal I.5, i think...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think linear algebra is pretty important for QM.

Nothing000 said:

I think Linear Algebra would benefit any Physicists.

Nothing000 said:

SURE IT IS.

Linear Algebra is the fundamental mathematical formalism behind the theory of QM.

Any physicist who gets a "respectable" education will have passed some heavy courses on linear algebra. In college i studied many aspects of linear algebra in the very first year like :

1) all the stuff on vectors like linear combinations, linear dependence, etc etc (we already saw this in high school)
2) linear transformations
3) affine algebra (incidence geometry and parallel classes)
4) projective geometry (angle of Laguerre )
5) homogeneous coordinates
6) eigenvalues and eigenvectors
7) 3-D geometry (also covered in high school)
8) intro to group theory (Cayley tables, cosets, equivalent classes)

This was, together with the calculus course, one of the biggest courses in my first year of college. Lot's of theorems and proofs and exercises...

regards
marlon

Here is http://aivwww.ugent.be/Studentenadministratie/Studiegids/2005/EN/FACULTY/WE/COURSE/CBNAST/01000009/INDEX.HTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you guys say that linear algebra is more important than differential equations, or is Diff E just as important? I am not majoring in physics, I am just wondering.

Nothing000 said:
Would you guys say that linear algebra is more important than differential equations, or is Diff E just as important? I am not majoring in physics, I am just wondering.

No, they are most certainly equally important.

marlon

1. What is the purpose of having different math levels for different physics courses?

The purpose of having different math levels for different physics courses is to ensure that students have the necessary mathematical skills and knowledge to succeed in a particular physics course. This allows students to build a solid foundation in math and apply it to the concepts and problems in their physics course.

2. What are the typical math levels required for introductory physics courses?

The typical math levels required for introductory physics courses are algebra and trigonometry. These courses provide the necessary mathematical tools to understand and solve basic physics problems.

3. Are higher math levels necessary for advanced physics courses?

Yes, higher math levels such as calculus and differential equations are necessary for advanced physics courses. These courses involve more complex mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding advanced physics concepts.

4. Can a student with a weaker math background still succeed in a physics course with a higher math level requirement?

It may be challenging, but it is possible for a student with a weaker math background to succeed in a physics course with a higher math level requirement. However, it is important for the student to seek extra help and put in extra effort to catch up on the necessary math skills.

5. How can I determine the appropriate math level for a physics course?

The appropriate math level for a physics course is typically indicated in the course description or prerequisites. It is important to carefully review these requirements and also assess your own math skills and knowledge to determine if you are prepared for the course.