1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Math Levels for different Physics Courses

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1
    I am currently in Cal AB and will hopefully study through Cal BC this year. I am raelly interested in Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and String theory.

I just wanted to know what level of math I will need to study Quantum, relativity, and string theory in depth.

Like Diff Q's, Partial Diff Q's?

I just want to know so I have some mathematical direction....

BTW, Cal BC is like Cal I.5, i think....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2
    I think linear algebra is pretty important for QM.

4. Dec 25, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Linear Algebra would benefit any Physicists.

5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    SURE IT IS.

Linear Algebra is the fundamental mathematical formalism behind the theory of QM.

Any physicist who gets a "respectable" education will have passed some heavy courses on linear algebra. In college i studied many aspects of linear algebra in the very first year like :

1) all the stuff on vectors like linear combinations, linear dependence, etc etc (we already saw this in high school)
    2) linear transformations
    3) affine algebra (incidence geometry and parallel classes)
    4) projective geometry (angle of Laguerre )
    5) homogeneous coordinates
    6) eigenvalues and eigenvectors
    7) 3-D geometry (also covered in high school)
    8) intro to group theory (Cayley tables, cosets, equivalent classes)

This was, together with the calculus course, one of the biggest courses in my first year of college. Lot's of theorems and proofs and exercises...

regards
    marlon

Here is a course description

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    Would you guys say that linear algebra is more important than differential equations, or is Diff E just as important? I am not majoring in physics, I am just wondering.

7. Dec 25, 2005 #6
    No, they are most certainly equally important.

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?