Math & Relativity: Understand Einstein's Theories

• Thread starter CosmicCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical requirements for understanding Einstein's theories of special and general relativity. It is mentioned that Richard Feynman believed one must speak the language of math to truly appreciate nature. It is suggested that Bondi's k-calculus approach to special relativity only requires high school math, while general relativity requires more advanced knowledge. Suggestions for resources to learn these mathematical concepts are provided.
CosmicCube
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could offer an opinion on this...I have a high school math background sans calculus, but would love to understand Einstein's theories mathematically. Richard Feynman said that to truly appreciate nature you have to speak the language of math. What would be the requirements and in what order for someone like me (studying math/physics) to achieve my goal? I don't care much about time and would be pursuing this on the side but seriously. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bondi's k-calculus approach to special relativity requires only high school math. (No calculus, in spite of the name). See for instance "Relativity and Common Sense", which you can find online, for example in the internet archive. I think Mermin has a more modern book with a similar approach, but I haven't read it.

The mathematical requirement to understand special relativity is to be able to do high school algebra , more specifically linear equations in two variables.

Last edited:
Linear algebra and calculus (real, multivariable) are always the minimum knowledge of maths before tackling university level physics.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Thank you for all your suggestions everyone. Now to dig into all of those!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, is a set of two theories: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. These theories explain the relationship between space and time and the effects of gravity, respectively.

2. Why is understanding relativity important in mathematics?

Relativity is important in mathematics because it helps to explain the fundamental concepts of space and time. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time, which has significant implications in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.

3. How did Einstein develop his theories of relativity?

Einstein developed his theories of relativity through a combination of thought experiments and mathematical equations. He was inspired by the work of previous scientists, such as Maxwell and Lorentz, and built upon their ideas to develop his own revolutionary theories.

4. What are some real-world applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has numerous real-world applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise timing of satellites in orbit. It also helps to explain phenomena such as black holes, the bending of light, and the expansion of the universe.

5. Can the average person understand the theory of relativity?

While the mathematics involved in the theory of relativity can be complex, the basic concepts can be understood by the average person. With the help of clear explanations and visual aids, anyone can gain a general understanding of relativity and its implications in the universe.