Math REU Chances & Applying Strategy for Sophomore

• Thread starter BSCMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, you should apply to the summer 2011 math REU programs if you have taken Calc 1-3, linear algebra, and a proof class.
BSCMath
I was just wondering what my chances are of being placed in a Math REU for the summer of 2011 are. I'm a sophomore and by the end of spring semester i will have taken Cal 1-3, ODE, transition to higher math, linear algebra, and topology I. I've made A's in all but the last two, which i have yet to take. Am i competitive for programs as just a sophomore?

Also what's the accepted applying strategy? I don't care what the topic is, i just want to get in. Are they all equally competitive and should i just apply to the ones close by, or are some easier than others? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! I am currently in the same exact boat as you are (except I took Calc 1-3, two semesters of linear algebra, an introductory proofs class, and probability and stats, and will be taking number theory and differential equations). Which REUs are you considering applying to for the summer?

Funny that i get a reply now, i just got done making a list of where to apply. I just went through the list of programs and picked the ones that i qualified for, had interesting projects, or were close by. I came up with about 8. i hope this goes well. if anyone else has anything to chime in about the math reu application process, that'd be great

Yeah I think I'm aiming around 10, just because I'm a little inferior about my chances lol.

From what I've heard, the SMALL Program at Williams and the Duluth Program (now at Emory I think) are very difficult to be admitted into. I also know that Cornell's REU program is rather selective but not as difficult as the previous two I mentioned.

Alright thanks. i had emory on the list. i figured SMALL and Cornell would be too tough for me

I got into an REU as a freshman last summer with single and multi-variable calc (at my school that's just Calc 1 and Calc 2, I'm not sure what Calc 3 is), discrete math and linear algebra. I got A's in all of them, but on my transcript, they were just listed as passing, so I don't remember which grades were on my application and which ones weren't, and this probably differed for different applications. And then I took Real Analysis in the spring. So you definitely have a chance, though they're all so competitive it's hard to say whether or not you'll end up getting into one.

And the ones iironiic mentioned are I think the most difficult ones to get into, but I'm pretty sure the Duluth REU is still at Duluth, and there's a separate REU at Emory. I used to think that new programs were also easier to get into since they might no have as much publicity, but the one I went to was in its first year and had like, 300 applicants, so I'm not really sure.

How well did you know the professors that wrote your rec letters? I haven't gone to many office hours and there's not much in-class discussion, so I feel like I wouldn't have good recommendations even though my grades are pretty good.

tcbh said:
How well did you know the professors that wrote your rec letters? I haven't gone to many office hours and there's not much in-class discussion, so I feel like I wouldn't have good recommendations even though my grades are pretty good.

Yeah! I heard that teacher recommendations are substantially important in the application process, so it's really important to know your professors well. Fortunately I know my professors very well so hopefully this will help me during the application process.

I have taken two classes last summer (Calc III and Japanese I as an elective). When the application asks for your overall/math GPA, should I include these classes in the GPA? Thanks!

iironiic is right that SMALL at Williams and the program at Duluth are both the most difficult to get into. Cornell is also fairly selective. I wouldn't recommend applying to these unless you've had second semester undergraduate analysis (i.e. compactness, completeness, etc).

As your GPA question, every class you've had should be included in the overall GPA, and your math GPA should only include your GPA calculated from using math courses only.

For letters, you should know your writer fairly well. I've been told letters are the most important part of your application.

I'm going to be applying to both maths and physics REUs for this summer. I've decided on my physics ones, but I'm still up in the air about maths. Williams is definitely on my short list, but it is so very competitive. Same for Cornell. Ah well.

I'm worried, because I won't have any fall 2010 grades when I apply, since we take all our exams in spring at my school.

1. What is an REU and how does it relate to math?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a competitive summer program where students can gain hands-on research experience in their field of study. For math students, REUs often involve working on a research project with a faculty mentor in areas such as pure math, applied math, or statistics.

2. Can sophomores apply for an REU in math?

Yes, many REUs welcome applications from sophomores. However, since these programs are highly competitive, it's important for sophomores to have strong academic backgrounds and relevant research experience in order to be considered.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a math REU?

Some ways to improve your chances include: maintaining a high GPA, taking challenging math courses, getting involved in research projects or independent studies, building relationships with math professors who can write strong recommendation letters, and writing a well-crafted personal statement.

4. Should I apply to multiple math REUs?

It's generally recommended to apply to multiple REUs, as the acceptance rates can be low. However, it's important to carefully consider the research projects and faculty mentors at each program to ensure they align with your interests and goals.

5. When is the best time to apply for a math REU?

Most REUs have application deadlines in January or February, and students typically apply during the fall semester of their sophomore or junior year. It's important to research and plan ahead for the REUs you are interested in, as some programs may have earlier or later deadlines.