Math REU for Summer 2010: Tips to Improve Your Chances

• Thread starter PieceOfPi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Summer
In summary, the math major is encouraged to take courses that will increase their chance of acceptance to an REU program. Applicants are also advised to get letters of recommendation from professors and to take the Putnam exam.
PieceOfPi
I am a math major and a junior, and I'm interested in doing REU during next summer. I've been looking through some of the REU programs for math, and while most of them still show the summer 2009 information, a lot of them sound pretty interesting.

So what are some tips to get accepted to this program?

Are there any math courses that I should take to increase my chance?

What will I be most likely doing in an REU site?

Any comment/suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They usually keep the programs small. From what I've read they only accept 10-15 students, and some of the programs get 150+ applications. So, in short...apply to many of them and don't be picky.

Get your letters of recommendation in order. If you don't know your professors well, impress them this semester. Again, from what I've read, the letters play a major role in your chances of acceptance.

Thanks. I realized they are quite competitive, so not being picky sounds like a great idea. I'm interested in various mathematical topics so far (e.g. linear algebra, graph theory, combinatorics, dynamical systems, etc), and I might get a little picky with geography, but at least I won't be living there for a long time, so I think I can tolerate that as well.

Fortunately, I am familiarizing with some of the professors/instructors at my school. I don't know if they're really "impressed" about me, but hopefully some of my efforts would count. I hope I can get a few professors to write me a letter by the end of fall quarter...

I'll be also doing Putnam exam this year, which should be fun and something I can write down on my application (well, maybe not if I got something like 0 or 1...).

Thanks, and more comments are appreciated. But I'm starting to think I asked this question too early...

1. What is an REU?

An REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates and is a program designed to provide undergraduate students with hands-on research experience in their field of interest. These programs are usually funded by the National Science Foundation and are offered at various universities across the country.

2. How do I apply for a Math REU for Summer 2010?

The application process for an REU program varies from university to university. Generally, you will need to submit an online application, transcripts, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and meet all deadlines.

3. What qualifications do I need to be accepted into an REU program?

Each REU program has its own set of qualifications and requirements. However, most programs look for students who have a strong academic record, a genuine interest in research, and the ability to work independently. Previous coursework in the field of mathematics is also preferred.

4. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into an REU program?

To improve your chances of being accepted into an REU program, it is important to have a strong academic record in mathematics and related courses. Additionally, participating in independent research projects or internships can demonstrate your interest and experience in the field. Building relationships with professors and obtaining strong letters of recommendation can also make your application stand out.

5. What can I expect to gain from participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide you with valuable research experience, exposure to new areas of mathematics, and the opportunity to network with other students and professors in your field. It can also enhance your graduate school applications and help you make informed decisions about your future career plans in science and mathematics.