Struggling with Math Structures Homework: Can Someone Help?

In summary, the student does not understand how to answer the question and would appreciate someone explaining it to them.
HIM_Darling
I'm a math structures class at my college and even though i think the class is pointless its required for my degree and i have to take it. There is a problem in my book that I don't understand how to answer. The problem is: Determine each of the following without actually performing the division. Explain how you did it in each case. a.)Is 34,015 divisible by 17? The only hint he gave us is 34,015= 34,000+15. Apply Theorem 4-2(from the book) part a or c whichever is appropriate. However when i looked in the book this theorem that he told us to use is not there. Now I don't know what to do and its not like I can ask him because he is out of town on a business confernce until monday which is when the homework is due...can someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you yourself are a structures class that is pointless? We'd be happy to help if you would actually ask a coherent question (and follow the PF guidelines). Please try again.

I meant that I was in a math structures class...not that hard to figure out...and its late and I've had 4 hours of sleep in the last 2 days so please give me a break.
My question is that I don't understand how to answer this question and would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me:
Determine each of the following without actually performing the division. Explain how you did it in each case. a.)Is 34,015 divisible by 17?
My professor gave us the hint "34,015=34,000+15. Apply Theorem 4-2, part a or c whichever is appropriate." I have no idea what the hint means. All I know is that 4-2 means chapter 4 section 2 of our book. I read all of 4-2 hoping to find out what he meant however there was no mention of a theorem part a or c.
I know that the answer to the problem is no 34,015 is not divisible by 17 however I have no clue how I am supposed to explain this because the answer is just common sense to me.
I would ask my professor to explain it but he is out of town until Monday, which is when the homework is due, therefore I can't ask him.
So I would really really appreciate any help that you can give.

HIM_Darling said:
All I know is that 4-2 means chapter 4 section 2 of our book.

I don't think that this is the correct interpretation of the numbering system. What if there were three theorems in section 2 of chapter 4? Maybe it means theorem 2 of chapter 4, but, without seeing the book, I'm not sure.

Is 34000 divisible by 17? Is 15 divisible by 17?

1. How do I know if I'm struggling with my Math Structures homework?

If you find yourself spending a lot of time on your Math Structures homework and still not understanding the material, or if you consistently receive low grades on assignments and exams, you may be struggling with the subject.

2. Can someone help me with my Math Structures homework?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you with your Math Structures homework. You can seek assistance from your teacher or professor, a tutor, a classmate, or online resources such as instructional videos or practice problems.

3. What should I do if I don't understand a concept in my Math Structures homework?

If you don't understand a concept, try re-reading the material or reviewing your class notes. If that doesn't help, reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Math Structures?

To improve your understanding of Math Structures, practice regularly, attend class and pay attention, and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and to actively engage with the material by asking questions and working through challenging problems.

5. Are there any tips for succeeding in Math Structures homework?

Some tips for succeeding in Math Structures homework include starting assignments early, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, seeking help when needed, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to review class notes and previous assignments to reinforce your understanding of the material.