Mathematica: ill-conditioned linear system

In summary, the problem with the large number of terms is that it is difficult to find a convergence criterion for the stresses.
Asad Albostami
Hi all, I have problem with regard to ill-conditioned linear system of solving sets of simultaneous equations using Mathematica program. I have tried my best to find a way to solve this but none was successful.
I got results from m =1 and n =1 until m = 7 and n = 7, i,e. the systems are well-conditioned. However, the problem started from when m = 9 and n = 9 due to ill-conditioned systems. Note that m = n = 1,3,5,6,7,9,...99. I am trying to find a treatment so that the matrix would not become a singular.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the matrix is ill conditioned there is nothing that Mathematica can do other than to correctly report the ill conditioning. Basically, you are trying to divide by zero, and no math program can make that reasonable, the problem is the input itself not the program.

Thank you for your reply.
For my program I used a method it is called state space approach for finding the stresses through the thickness for any plate. From this method the plate has a top and bottom values and from finding the top stresses from an exponential matrix then I can calculate the bottom stresses but here I have a problem for a very big numbers that It gives me (For example if the top stresses is equal to 1 MPa the bottom stress is equal to 10^5). Please see the attached file it shows the formulas that I used. noting that the problem started when the looping numbers is increased (Because this method it is a summation of terms So more terms it means more accurate results).

Attachments

• State space approach.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 417
The .pdf file doesn't work for me. However, in general you don't want to just blindly add 100 terms. You should specify some convergence criterion and stop adding terms as soon as the criterion is met or the criterion begins to indicate divergence. An ill conditioned matrix should cause any reasonable criterion to diverge, and a good criterion should stop adding terms before it becomes ill conditioned.

1. What is a linear system in Mathematica?

A linear system in Mathematica is a set of equations that can be represented in the form of linear combinations of variables. In other words, it is a system of equations that can be solved using linear algebra techniques.

2. What does it mean for a linear system to be ill-conditioned?

An ill-conditioned linear system in Mathematica is one where the solution is highly sensitive to small changes in the coefficients or variables. This can lead to inaccuracies in the solution and make it more difficult to obtain a reliable result.

3. How can I identify if a linear system in Mathematica is ill-conditioned?

The condition number is a good indicator of whether a linear system in Mathematica is ill-conditioned. A higher condition number typically means the system is more sensitive to changes and may be difficult to solve accurately.

4. What can I do if I encounter an ill-conditioned linear system in Mathematica?

There are several techniques that can be used to deal with an ill-conditioned linear system in Mathematica. These include using a more precise numerical method, using regularization techniques, or reformulating the problem to improve the conditioning.

5. Are there any specific functions or commands in Mathematica that can help with an ill-conditioned linear system?

Yes, Mathematica has several built-in functions and commands that can help with an ill-conditioned linear system. These include MatrixRank, LinearSolve, PseudoInverse, and SingularValueDecomposition. It is also helpful to use high precision arithmetic and to check the condition number of the system.