Mathematical Induction Help: Proving 7a+3b>=12 for n>=12 using Induction

In summary, In order to prove that there is a non-negative integer a and b such that n=7a+3b, you must first prove that the statement is true for 12. Once that is proven, you can follow the steps given to you to prove that the statement is true for n+1.
matrix_204
i was having trouble coming up with an induction proof for this problem, although i have tried and was able to prove it sumhow(using numbers 1 n so forth, teacher doesn't allow us to use them yet), but not using induction. I have no clue on how to do this using induction. please help me.

Problem: Prove that for all n>=12, there are non-negative integers a and b such that n=7a+3b.

THen note that if a,b are integers such that 7a+3b>=12, then a>=2 and b>=2.

Then put the above property so that having the expression n of the type (n=7a+3b) gives an expression for n+1 also for the type (n=7a+3b).

how am i suppose to start this proof, using induction and using facts if needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume it's true for n. Then for n+1

[tex]n+1 = 7a'+3b'[/tex]

so that

[tex]n = 7a'+3b'-1 = 7a' + 3 b' + 6 - 7 = 7(a'-1) + 3(b'+2)[/tex]

Just set a' - 1 = a and b' +2 = b and you have your proof.

aaaah, now i understand.. thanks alot, i didn't bother going any further after writing n+1=7a+3b. i really really appreciate the help, thanks again

Isn't there a crucial step in induction missing? What happens when n= 12?

aren't we suppose to assume it is true for the first number, for example n=12, and then prove for the next number n+1.

Yes, it must first be proven that the statement is true for 12, then go on to show it is true for n+1

so how do we prove it for 12, if we don't know a and b?

matrix_204 said:
so how do we prove it for 12, if we don't know a and b?

firstly you said a => 2 and b => 2 for n => 12

7(2) + 3(2) = 14 + 6 = 20 => 12 and this is true for the first allowed case for 12 since 20 => 12, the last time i checked

thats your first step

then assume it for k and follow the steps given to you before me

Matrix, can you not find a, b by simple trial and error ? It hardly takes a couple of tries before you find the right values.

Stunner, you are not answering matrix's question about the initial case.

Last edited:
matrix_204 said:
aren't we suppose to assume it is true for the first number, for example n=12, and then prove for the next number n+1.

It looks to me like you don't have a feel for the induction process yet.

Just to elaborate one what Spectre said, you have to prove that the statement P(n) is true for n=12. In fact, if you don't do that, you will only prove the conditional statement: If P(n) is true, then P(n+1) is true.

Well what if P(n) is not true?

That's why both steps are needed. When both P(12) and P(n)-->P(n+1) are proven, then the proof holds for all n>=12 by the domino effect.

P(12) is true. proven directly
P(12)-->P(13) because P(12)-->P(12+1), and P(12) is true
P(13)-->P(14) because P(13)-->P(13+1), and P(13) is true

and so on.

If P(n) is not true, then P(n+1) is true. p(n)=>p(n+1) then P(n) must be true, according to the truth table

matrix_204 said:
If P(n) is not true, then P(n+1) is true. p(n)=>p(n+1) then P(n) must be true, according to the truth table
beeeeeeeeeeeep ...
check the truth table again ...
given a statement p->q
if p is false and q is true, p->q is still true

so given the truth values of q and p->q , one cannot determine the truth value of p. If that were so , most of the modus ponen rules i study in AI would come to nought! really!

-- AI
P.S-> 7*0+3*4 = 12

Related to Mathematical Induction Help: Proving 7a+3b>=12 for n>=12 using Induction

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to demonstrate that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then using that assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, and so on.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a statement into smaller components and proving that each component is true. This is done in a step-by-step fashion, starting with the base case and then moving on to the inductive step. The base case is used to prove that the statement is true for the first natural number, while the inductive step is used to prove that if the statement is true for a particular natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

3. What are the steps to using mathematical induction?

The steps to using mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number (the base case).
  2. Assume that the statement is true for a particular natural number (the inductive hypothesis).
  3. Use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number (the inductive step).
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

4. When is mathematical induction used?

Mathematical induction is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to prove statements that involve natural numbers, such as number patterns and properties of sequences and series. It is also used in some areas of physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include:

• Not proving the base case.
  • Assuming that the inductive step is true without proper justification.
  • Using circular reasoning.
  • Skipping steps or not clearly explaining each step.
  • Not being careful with algebraic manipulations.