Understanding Mathematical Induction: Proving Implications and When to Use It

In summary, the example given in the class had an assumption that "p(k)" is true, which led to the next issue of how do you know that you're proving an implication. The implication in this case is that if P(k) holds, THEN P(k+1) holds. This is proven by proving that P(k) IMPLIES P(k+1) through the use of a truth table.
anonymity
Hello,

I have a question about inductive reasoning...

Earlier this week my intro proofs class went over the logical structure of induction, and an example.

The example was a proof of [itex]\Sigma[/itex]i = n*(n + 1)/2

My main issue is the assumption that "p(k)" is true. What if it's not? I asked this in class, and my professor said it didnt matter because we are proving an implication (this made perfect sense). However, this leads to the next issue...how do you know that you're proving an implication? How can you tell when you're dealing with an implication and when not? What's the implication for this example...?

edit: it's not that I don't understand how to use it, I do. I just wrote two assigned proofs using induction. I just want to understand why it works and when it works =|

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The implication in this case is

[tex]P(k)~\Rightarrow~P(k+1)[/tex]

That is: IF P(k) holds, THEN P(k+1) holds.

You know that it's an implication because that's what induction is about. You don't prove P(n) directly, but you prove it through the implication. So if you're using induction, then you're proving an implication...

but in the actual proof, how do you know that P(k) "IMPLIES" p(k + 1), aside from the fact that (hopefully) the answer via assumption and the given formula coincide (in the basic summation example)

=|

anonymity said:
but in the actual proof, how do you know that P(k) "IMPLIES" p(k + 1), aside from the fact that (hopefully) the answer via assumption and the given formula coincide (in the basic summation example)

=|

You know that P(k) IMPLIES P(k+1) because that is what you prove.

You start by assuming P(k) true, and you prove P(k+1) to be true. So you have proven that P(k) IMPLIES P(k+1).

It's just sort of weird thinking of the implication out of its dry logical context... I don't see how that proves the implication in the logical form (ie if i drew it out on a truth table).

edit: after reading my post, I think a good replacement for "dry" would be "un-applied"

edit 2.0: I mean, if I don't think about it, it makes a lot of sense. You start with p(k), and use that to find p(k + 1)... so there is definitely a connection (it would seem to imply). But I certainly don't see how it is LOGICALLY justified

Last edited:
anonymity said:
It's just sort of weird thinking of the implication out of its dry logical context... I don't see how that proves the implication in the logical form (ie if i drew it out on a truth table).

edit: after reading my post, I think a good replacement for "dry" would be "un-applied"

Well, if you want to drag truth tables into this, then we can:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}
P(k) & P(k+1) & P(k)\Rightarrow P(k+1)\\
F & F & T\\
F & T & T\\
T & F & F\\
T & T & T
\end{array}[/tex]

We want to prove that the implication is true. But from the truth table, we see that the only way that the implication can ever be false is if P(k) is T and if P(k+1) is F. So we assume P(k) is T, and we prove that P(k+1) is also T. This proves that the third row of the truth table cannot occur. So the implication is true.

Okay that makes an incredible amount of sense...

thanks ><

1. What is Mathematical Induction?

Mathematical Induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves breaking down a statement into smaller cases, and using the fact that if a statement is true for one case, it is also true for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. How does Mathematical Induction work?

Mathematical Induction works by proving a statement, known as the base case, for the first natural number, usually 1. Then, assuming the statement is true for a certain natural number, known as the induction hypothesis, it is proven that the statement is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it is proven that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong Mathematical Induction?

Weak Mathematical Induction involves proving that a statement is true for a base case and the next natural number, while strong Mathematical Induction involves proving that the statement is true for all natural numbers between the base case and the next natural number. Strong Mathematical Induction is a more powerful technique and can be used to prove more complex statements.

4. What are the common mistakes made when using Mathematical Induction?

One common mistake when using Mathematical Induction is assuming the statement is true for all natural numbers, without proving the base case. Another mistake is assuming the statement is true for a specific natural number without proving the induction hypothesis. It is important to carefully follow each step of the process and make sure all necessary cases are considered.

5. In what fields of mathematics is Mathematical Induction commonly used?

Mathematical Induction is commonly used in fields such as number theory, combinatorics, and algebra. It is also used in computer science and programming to prove the correctness of algorithms and data structures.