Discover the Best Books on Symbolic & Pure Mathematical Logic

In summary, mathematical logic is a branch of mathematics that studies formal systems of reasoning and valid reasoning principles. Topics covered in mathematical logic books include propositional and predicate logic, set theory, proof theory, and model theory. It is used in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, philosophy, and theoretical physics. Beginners should carefully choose a book that matches their level of understanding, as some may require a strong background in mathematics and logic. While primarily used in academic fields, the principles of mathematical logic can also be applied in everyday life to enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Reedeegi
I'm trying to find a good book on Symbolic, Pure, Mathematical Logic. Anyone know such a book? I'd prefer it have no mention to number theory, set theory, etc. since I have books on those already and I find that they detract value from the books since it's just less time spent on the main topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Ebbinghaus so far.

I would recommend the book "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Elliott Mendelson. This book covers the fundamentals of symbolic and pure mathematical logic without delving into number theory or set theory. It is a comprehensive and well-respected text in the field, and it will provide a solid foundation for understanding the principles and applications of mathematical logic. Additionally, the book "A Concise Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Wolfgang Rautenberg is another excellent option that focuses specifically on symbolic and pure logic. Both of these books are highly recommended by mathematicians and have received positive reviews for their clarity and depth of coverage. I believe either of these books would be a valuable resource for anyone trying to understand symbolic and pure mathematical logic.

I can suggest a few books that focus specifically on Symbolic and Pure Mathematical Logic without mentioning number theory or set theory. These books are highly recommended by experts in the field and are widely used in universities and research institutions.

1. "A Concise Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Wolfgang Rautenberg - This book provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to mathematical logic, covering topics such as propositional and predicate logic, formal proof systems, and Gödel's incompleteness theorems.

2. "Introduction to Symbolic Logic and Its Applications" by Rudolf Carnap - This classic text covers the basics of symbolic logic, including propositional and first-order logic, with a focus on its applications in philosophy and mathematics.

3. "An Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Herbert Enderton - This book covers the fundamentals of mathematical logic, including sentential and predicate logic, and also touches on topics such as computability and incompleteness.

4. "Symbolic Logic: Syntax, Semantics, and Proof" by David Agler - This book offers a modern approach to symbolic logic, covering topics such as natural deduction, soundness and completeness, and model theory.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a good book on Symbolic and Pure Mathematical Logic. These books are highly regarded for their clarity, rigor, and focus on the main topics without getting bogged down in other areas. Happy reading!

1. What is mathematical logic?

Mathematical logic is a branch of mathematics that studies formal systems of reasoning and the principles of valid reasoning.

2. What are some common topics covered in mathematical logic books?

Some common topics covered in mathematical logic books include propositional and predicate logic, set theory, proof theory, and model theory.

3. How is mathematical logic used in other fields?

Mathematical logic is used in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, philosophy, and theoretical physics to formalize and analyze arguments and concepts.

4. Are mathematical logic books suitable for beginners?

Some mathematical logic books may be suitable for beginners, but others require a strong background in mathematics and logic. It is important to carefully choose a book that matches your level of understanding.

5. Can mathematical logic be applied in everyday life?

While mathematical logic is primarily used in academic fields, its principles can also be applied in everyday life to improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.