Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence

In summary, the conversation discusses frustration with the restricted access to worked solutions for a math textbook purchased from a merchant. The individual, who is using the textbook to brush up on math skills, is disappointed that the solutions manual only covers half of the questions and questions the reasoning behind this restriction. They also express interest in finding a way to obtain quality worked solutions and inquire about the compatibility of a third edition solutions book with a second edition textbook.
Hacky
This is a great book but I have one complaint. Cambridge forbids access to all of the worked solutions unless you are an instructor of a math course. Now the Cambridge website does say this but the website of the merchant I bought the text and solutions manual from does not mention this at all. In fact, I thought all the solutions were in the book. It is called the "Students Solution Manual", not "Students Half-the Solutions Manual".

There are plenty of problems with worked solutions but there are also some problems that catch my eye and are difficult, or I am short on time and a worked solution would be great. As a 46 year old who is just trying to brush up, learn this stuff, this policy seems gratuitously restrictive. I understand the need to keep the solutions out of the hands of students but I emailed fairly good proof that I was no such thing.

Anyone agree that after spending over $100 for these books and not seeing any indication that the solutions manual covers only half the questions, that Cambridge should budge? (They will not for sure but it feels good to gripe about this).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently working through the book - as you presumably were, or still are - to brush up on ideas and skills required for a mathematically challenging course.

I wonder if you have found a way of obtaining good quality worked solutions?

P.S. Is there a chance that anyone knows if the third ed. solutions book is any cop for the second ed. text?

Last edited:

As a fellow scientist, I understand your frustration with the limited access to the worked solutions in the Mathematical Methods book by Riley, Hobson, and Bence. It is important for students to have access to these solutions in order to fully understand the concepts and improve their problem-solving skills. I agree that the policy of only providing access to instructors is unnecessarily restrictive and can hinder students' learning progress.

However, it is important to note that Cambridge has a legitimate reason for restricting access to the solutions. By limiting access to instructors, they are preventing the solutions from falling into the wrong hands and potentially being used for cheating purposes. As you mentioned, you were able to provide proof that you are not a student, but it is difficult for Cambridge to verify this for every individual who requests access.

In terms of the lack of information provided by the merchant about the limited solutions manual, I understand your disappointment. It is always frustrating when important details are not clearly communicated. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the buyer to research and understand the product they are purchasing.

In the future, I suggest reaching out to the publisher directly to inquire about the access to the worked solutions before making a purchase. It may also be helpful to look for alternative resources that provide comprehensive solutions for the book.

Overall, I sympathize with your situation and agree that Cambridge should consider finding a solution that allows students to access the worked solutions without compromising the integrity of the material. Perhaps a verification process or a separate access code for students could be implemented. In the meantime, I encourage you to continue your learning journey and utilize other resources to supplement the limited solutions manual.

Related to Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence

1. What is the purpose of "Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence"?

The purpose of "Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible guide to the mathematical methods used in physics and engineering. It covers a wide range of topics including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and vector calculus.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for "Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence" is primarily undergraduate and graduate students in physics and engineering, but it can also be a valuable resource for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. How is this book structured?

The book is divided into five main sections: mathematical preliminaries, calculus, ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. Each section is further divided into chapters that cover specific topics in depth. The book also includes numerous examples, exercises, and problems to aid in understanding and application of the material.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence" is suitable for self-study as it provides clear explanations and examples that make it easy to follow along. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and algebra before diving into this book.

5. Is this book updated to include modern applications?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods by Riley, Hobson, Bence" is regularly updated to include modern applications and examples, making it relevant for current students and professionals in the fields of physics and engineering. The authors also include chapters on numerical methods and computational techniques, which are essential in modern scientific research and technology.