Mathematically in-depth textbook for QM course

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best textbook for an undergraduate quantum mechanics course that is mathematically challenging. The recommended books are Ballentine, Hall's Quantum Theory for Mathematicians, Zettili's book, and Basdevant and Dalibard's book, with a suggestion to also read Shankar's book. Additionally, the book Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory: A Mathematical Primer by Jonathan Dimock is suggested. Dirac's book is also mentioned as a good option, with a mention of studying path integrals as well.
lizzie96'
I'm trying to decide between Dirac, Shankar, Mandl, Griffiths, Gasiorowicz, and Sakurai for an undergrad QM course. It is the first "proper" quantum course after a basic introduction in the modern physics class, but apparently it is particularly mathematically challenging, so I'm looking for a book that is rigourous/difficult/in-depth. Which would you say is the best of these for getting a deep mathematical understanding?

Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballentine is very good to get a rigorous understanding.
But the question is whether you want a first quantum book to be rigorous. It might not be the best idea.

Thanks, this looks like a good book. It seems like it covers most of the topics in my course, but I'm not sure about peturbation theory- does Ballentine cover that at all?

I'm looking for a rigourous book partly because I am interested in learning more about ideas like Hilbert spaces, but also because the course is specifically aimed at Mathematical Physics students so will have a strong focus on the maths side.

I really liked Hall's Quantum Theory for Mathematicians as a supplementary text, as it had clear discussions of the formal issues that "regular" quantum mechanics textbook like to sweep under the rug. I'm not sure how good it would be as your only book.

Literally any of the texts above will serve you purpose - less so with Griffiths. I would personally say use Shankar of those above, but would encourage you to check out Zettili's book.

Thanks for the suggestions, the Quantum Theory for Mathematicians has exactly the material I was looking for.

My second course in QM used the book by Basdevant and Dalibard.
I quite liked it, its more mathematical than Griffiths but still easy enough for a first course.

lizzie96' said:
Thanks for the suggestions, the Quantum Theory for Mathematicians has exactly the material I was looking for.

Would it help to read an easier book in addition? I mean, would that not save time? I'm thinking you want to get the most learned before the class starts, this seems to be your aim, to do really well in it.

I recall you are a high achiever in physics, so it's perfectly fine if you are at the required level for that book already, which certainly may be the case.

Last edited:
Hall's book is excellent and one of my favorites. But it is a math book, not a physics book. It does very little physics. It usually just throws the result of the physics out there without motivation, and continues with the mathematical derivations. It is not meant as a first quantum text and should not be used as such.

Likes dextercioby
I've recently started reading Shankar's book. I'm still in the first chapter, where he first prepares you for the math. On the basis of the first chapter, I'd highly recommend that book: clear explanations, adequate (but not excessive) examples, and in text exercises with gradually increasing difficulty (though it doesn't go beyond a level, at least in the first chapter), which is a big confidence boost.

Dirac is the best one. You have to study path integrals as well.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of these particles.

2. What is the purpose of a mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course?

The purpose of a mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical principles and concepts underlying quantum mechanics. It is designed to help students develop a strong foundation in the mathematical tools necessary for studying and applying quantum mechanics in various fields.

3. Is a strong background in math necessary to understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong background in math is necessary to understand quantum mechanics. It involves complex mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus. Without a solid understanding of these mathematical tools, it can be difficult to comprehend the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What topics are typically covered in a mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course?

A mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course typically covers topics such as wave mechanics, operators and observables, the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and measurements, and quantum dynamics. It may also delve into more advanced topics such as quantum field theory and the application of quantum mechanics in different areas of physics.

5. How can a mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course be beneficial for research and career opportunities?

A mathematically in-depth textbook for a QM course can be beneficial for research and career opportunities in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. It provides a solid understanding of the mathematical principles underlying quantum mechanics, which is essential for conducting research and developing new technologies based on quantum principles.