Mathematics for physicists books (poll)

In summary, we have discussed various mathematics books for physicists and have recommended "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas and "Morse and Feshbach" as well as "Schiff" and "Szekeres" for their clarity and effectiveness in teaching mathematical concepts for physics. It is also noted that older books can still be valuable resources and should not be dismissed solely based on their age.

Which of the following books do your prefer?(if you can, write the reason you prefer the book below)

• Total voters
Joker93
Hello, i want to get a mathematics book for physicists, and i have stumbled across some good books, but as i have not read them yet, i can't really decide which one to buy. So, which one do you prefer and why? Also, do you have any other book to recommend?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you haven't really given any details about what you like and what you're looking for, I'm going to assume this is about what *I* would buy. In that case, my answer would be: none of them.

Likes martinbn
micromass said:
Since you haven't really given any details about what you like and what you're looking for, I'm going to assume this is about what *I* would buy. In that case, my answer would be: none of them.
Well, it's just about undergraduate/advanced undergraduate/beginning graduate level mathematical methods courses.
What would you buy?

Boas

Jeffreys & Jeffreys

Wow, the poll shows a wide spread of opinions!

Hard to read, but I do like Morse and Feshbach, followed by Courant and Hilbert...

Likes QuantumQuest and vanhees71
Dr Transport said:
Hard to read, but I do like Morse and Feshbach, followed by Courant and Hilbert...
I would like to check out Morse and Feshbach's book, but I would like to ask you the reasons of why do you prefer it?

It is a classic and I always figured if you could do problems out of that book, you'd make a decent theoretical physicist

Dr Transport said:
It is a classic and I always figured if you could do problems out of that book, you'd make a decent theoretical physicist
Is it pedagogical? Does it have figures where it should have?

If memory serves me correctly, it only has figures showing you the different coordinate systems.

as for pedagogical, you an learn from it but it takes effort, it isn't an easy set of books.

Dr Transport said:
If memory serves me correctly, it only has figures showing you the different coordinate systems.

as for pedagogical, you an learn from it but it takes effort, it isn't an easy set of books.
I just checked it out and it seems pretty good. But, due to its age, isn't it a bit dated?

Math is math, sure it isn't a text on group theory, it is a book written during the 40's and 50's for the math needed to train a physicist, much of which you still need today.

I don't like a lot of the "new" texts in physics, too flashy, not enough substance. I'll go back to my well worn copy of Schiff well before I pick up Griffiths for QM as an example. My math references are the same, I use the ones I learned from and that have been on my shelf for 30 years, just because it is new, doesn't mean it is better. Multiple of my applied math courses professors had it on their shelf, if they didn't like it, it would not be there.

Likes micromass
Adam Landos said:
Hello, i want to get a mathematics book for physicists, and i have stumbled across some good books, but as i have not read them yet, i can't really decide which one to buy. So, which one do you prefer and why? Also, do you have any other book to recommend?
Thanks!

You are late to this game. You need to do a forum search on "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science" by Mary Boas. There have been numerous threads written about this book, and I have also explicitly recommended this book in my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay.

Zz.

Dr Transport said:
Math is math, sure it isn't a text on group theory, it is a book written during the 40's and 50's for the math needed to train a physicist, much of which you still need today.

I don't like a lot of the "new" texts in physics, too flashy, not enough substance. I'll go back to my well worn copy of Schiff well before I pick up Griffiths for QM as an example. My math references are the same, I use the ones I learned from and that have been on my shelf for 30 years, just because it is new, doesn't mean it is better. Multiple of my applied math courses professors had it on their shelf, if they didn't like it, it would not be there.
I am at a very young age, but I can agree with you on this. I use a mix of new and old books and I agree with you about Schiff's book. It's simply amazing as it offers amazing insights. If you have any other book in the style of Morse's and Feshbach's book, please recommend it!

Morse and Feshback along with Schiff is part of the International Series in Pure and Applied Physics, all fine books, older ones included, but really good, well written texts and monographs.

I agree with ZapperZ, Boas is a fine text, but I am not as enamored with it as he is.

Likes Joker93
I second Dr Transport's opinion. Very much ! I have both copies: both 2 books from Feshbach and Schiff's copy. Schiff is a hard core brainer, but f* rewarding.

Likes vanhees71
I like "big Hassani", but I have voted for other: Szekeres.

1. What topics are typically covered in "Mathematics for physicists" books?

These books typically cover topics such as linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, and probability theory.

2. Are there any recommended "Mathematics for physicists" books for beginners?

Yes, some recommended books for beginners include "Mathematics for Physicists" by Susan Lea, "Mathematics for Physicists" by Philip Dennery and Andre Krzywicki, and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken and Hans Weber.

3. Are these books suitable for self-study or are they meant to be used in a classroom setting?

It depends on the individual's learning style and background. Some may find these books suitable for self-study, while others may benefit from using them in a classroom setting with guidance from a teacher.

4. Do these books require prior knowledge of physics?

Some books may assume a basic understanding of physics concepts, but there are also books that do not require prior knowledge and provide a brief review of relevant physics concepts.

5. Can these books be used for other fields of science besides physics?

Yes, the mathematical concepts covered in these books are applicable to other fields of science such as engineering, astronomy, and chemistry.