Optimize Matlab Derivative for Spacecraft Mission

In summary, the conversation discusses a spacecraft mission with a constant thrust and an electric thruster with given efficiency and equations for power supply mass and propellant mass. The goal is to find the optimum specific impulse for a given range of values. The attempt at a solution involves taking the derivative of the combined equations and using optimization to determine the optimum specific impulse. The conversation also includes a hint to use the simplify and dsolve functions. The code provided includes definitions and equations for the given variables and an attempt at an analytical solution using the diff function.
Juanka

Homework Statement

Assume you have a spacecraft capable of a constant thrust (T) mission. The spacecraft ’s electric thruster has an efficiency given by Eff= 1-(((Isp-5000)^2)/(5000^2)) , where Isp is the specific impulse, in seconds. The power supply mass is given by
Mp=(alpha*g*T*Isp)/(2*Eff). The propellant mass is given by dM=Mo*(1-exp(-dV/(Isp*g))), where mo is the initial total spacecraft mass. dV=1.4*104m/s, g=9.81m/s2, T=0.3N, Mo=50000kg, and alpha=10kW/kg. Determine the optimum specific impulse, Iopt (where (Δm+mp) is at a minimum) for Isp =0..10000s.

(Hint: You will be taking the derivative of (dM+mp) with respect to Isp, then use optimization to determine Iopt.)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I understand I have to add the dM and Mp equations together and take the derevidive respect to Isp. I think I should use the a form of the
Code:
simplify(dsolve('DIsp=dM+mp,'y(0)=?','Isp'))
However I do not know what my initial condition should be. Also I think I may have to solve the equations for Isp? am i on the right track and suggestions please.
Also do I wait until I have found the Derivative to input the given definitions of each variable or should I do that last?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I have been playing with code and I have came up with the following:

Code:
%% Given Definitions
dV=1.4*10^4; %units are in m/s
g=9.81;%units are in m/s^2
T=0.3;% units are in N
Mo=50000;% units are in kg
alpha= 10/1000; %units are in kg/W
%Isp=.1;
%% Given Equations
Eff=@(Isp) 1-(((Isp-5000)^2)/(5000^2)); 
Mp=@(Isp, Eff) (alpha*g*T*Isp)/(2*Eff);     
dM=@(Isp) Mo*(1-exp(-dV/(Isp*g)));
%% Analytical Soultion
syms Isp
diff((alpha*g*T*Isp)/(2*(1-(((Isp-5000)^2)/(5000^2)))) + Mo*(1-exp(-dV/(Isp*g))))
Am I on the right track?

1. How can Matlab be used to optimize spacecraft missions?

Matlab is a powerful software tool that can be used to optimize various aspects of a spacecraft mission, including trajectory planning, control system design, and data analysis. It offers a wide range of functions and algorithms specifically designed for space mission applications.

2. What are some key considerations when optimizing the derivative for a spacecraft mission?

Some key considerations when optimizing the derivative for a spacecraft mission include the accuracy and precision of the measurements, the computational resources available, and the specific goals of the mission. It is also important to consider potential sources of error and how to minimize their impact on the derivative calculation.

3. How can I ensure the optimized derivative is reliable for my spacecraft mission?

To ensure reliability, it is important to thoroughly test and validate the derivative calculation using various simulation scenarios and real-world data. It is also recommended to consult with experts in the field and utilize established best practices for optimizing spacecraft mission derivatives.

4. Can Matlab be used to optimize derivatives in real-time during a spacecraft mission?

Yes, Matlab can be used to optimize derivatives in real-time during a spacecraft mission. However, this requires careful consideration of the computational resources available and the time constraints of the mission. It is also important to have a well-tested and optimized algorithm in place beforehand.

5. Are there any limitations to using Matlab for optimizing spacecraft mission derivatives?

While Matlab is a powerful tool for optimizing spacecraft mission derivatives, it does have some limitations. These may include the need for specialized knowledge in Matlab programming and the potential for high computational costs, depending on the complexity of the mission and the available resources.