MATLAB programming assignment (for loop)

• Thread starter GE2014
  • Start date

Homework Statement

(see attached file)

Homework Equations

(see attached file)

The Attempt at a Solution

isbn=input('Enter 9 Letter ISBN number: ','s');
for i=1:1:length(isbn)

(%indent)num=str2num(cat);
(%indent)check=num*i

%somewhere in here I need code to add all the checks found in the loop

end
checksum=mod(check%not correct,11)

So I have gotten the loop to visit all the digits separately and multiply it by the loop variable. Now all I need is some way to add all of those values into one. From there I use the modulus function and that's basically it. My prof gave a few hints. She said an if statement would be used, but that's probably for when the mod of the value will equal 10 and I need to display an X.

Also, I'm assuming I need to use a string concatenation at some point since it reminds me about it. Will that be used to put together the output at the end?

I realize this is probably a very simple exercise but this is my first effort using loops so I'm still trying to get a grasp on it

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

You need a running total for the checksum. In your current for loop, each increment of your loop variable, you erase what was originally in check and replace it with num*i. Also, cat seems undefined. Take a look at this piece of code that correctly gives the checksum:

Code:
isbn=input('Enter 9 Digit ISBN number: ','s');
check = 0;
for k = 1:length(isbn)
    check = check + str2double(isbn(k))*k;
end

checksum = mod(check,11) %correct now
The difference is I say check = check + number. So I say the new check is equal to whatever was in there before plus this additional number. It is important to realize that check = check + number isn't the same kind of equal sign as in algebra. Also, I define check = 0 before entering the loop. Otherwise, I will get an error, because the code will say new check = old check + number. But old check doesn't exist!

On a side note, the default increment is 1, so you don't need to put it in your for loop if you want to leave it out.

I imagine her idea behind mentioning string concatenation was to provide a tool for you to create the output. I notice in the screenshot there are dashes, numbers, and potentially an X. So you can create this output string with a few concatenations.