What is the role of Q and the source of moments in eccentric loading problems?

morpheus343
Homework Statement
Stresses at a point in the crossection due to an axial load in the centroid.
Relevant Equations
Swain formula
1704966420313.png
1704966433531.png

If there is an axial load on G the centroid and i want to calculate the stresses at point B , I will calculate the moments at point B then use the stress formula. I am confused as to what y and z is in this case. I know that y and z are the coordinates of the point that i want to calculate the stress at. Is it the same as zB and yB?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the section anchored or restricted from movement induced by that axial force along the x axis?
What is Q representing?
What is the source of those moments?

Lnewqban said:
How is the section anchored or restricted from movement induced by that axial force along the x axis?
What is Q representing?
What is the source of those moments?
1705041937307.png

For some reason i thought it's an eccentric loading problem but it's just σx=My*z/Iy due to P. Q axial force should not produce bending stresses only normal at point B of crossection.

1. What is the role of Q in eccentric loading problems?

Q represents the eccentricity of the load applied to a structure. It determines the moment arm of the force and influences the magnitude of the moment generated at the point of application.

2. What is the source of moments in eccentric loading problems?

The source of moments in eccentric loading problems is the eccentricity of the applied load. When the line of action of the force does not pass through the centroid of the cross-section, a moment is generated due to the eccentricity.

3. How does Q affect the distribution of stresses in eccentric loading problems?

Q affects the distribution of stresses by influencing the moment arm of the force. A larger Q value leads to a larger moment arm, resulting in higher stresses at the point of application of the load.

4. Can eccentric loading problems lead to structural failures?

Yes, eccentric loading problems can lead to structural failures if the generated moments exceed the capacity of the structure. This can result in bending, shear, or torsional failures, depending on the loading conditions.

5. How can engineers mitigate the effects of eccentric loading in structural design?

Engineers can mitigate the effects of eccentric loading by carefully considering the eccentricity of applied loads, designing appropriate load paths, and providing reinforcement at critical points to resist the generated moments. Additionally, using proper material selection and cross-sectional geometry can help improve the structural response to eccentric loading.