1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and transformations

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    My question is:

If P' is the image of P under a matrix D = (1, -4, 0, -1) as follows (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). If P is not on the x-axis, why is PP' bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P? :confused:

I can visually see what's happening but how can I show it? Please help

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Your notation is exceedingly unclear.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is P'P?

I'm completely lost myself.

I see your matrices and all, but that's about it.

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4
    Can anyone crack this one??:uhh:

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I started to do this yesterday but the Tex apparently wasn't working.

The best I can say is do it!! Let P be (x,y) (with y non-zero) and multiply it by D: P'= DP so that you have P' in terms of x and y.

What is the midpoint of the line segment PP'? what is the slope of that line?

7. Feb 9, 2006 #6

Well I get that the midpoint of the line segment PP' is the x-axis and the line is y = 1/4 x which means the slope is tan-1 (0.25) so theta = 14.04 degrees? Is this correct?

8. Feb 9, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The midpoint of PP' is on the x-axis. What does that tell you about "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"?

Technically, the slope is 1/4, slope is not the angle. In any case, the slope does not depend on the point P?? What does that tell you about "and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P"?

9. Feb 9, 2006 #8
    I can't answer the why in the "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"? I can only say that the x-axis will be the midpoint of any P chosen except if it's on the x-axis itself. But that of course is a consequence, can't answer why :-(

Honestly I can't answer this question, I'm going to give it a miss I think. I can visualise see it by I can't explain why. The lines PP' will always be parallel but a part from that what can I say?

10. Feb 9, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Bisect" means "divide into equal parts". If the midpoint of PP' is always on the x-axis then the x-axis bisects the PP'!

And if the lines PP' are always parallel, no matter what P is, then they cross the x-axis at a constant angle, don't they?

That's all this problem is asking you to say!

11. Feb 9, 2006 #10
    Thanks Sir that will do :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?