Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrices and transformations

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    My question is:

If P' is the image of P under a matrix D = (1, -4, 0, -1) as follows (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). If P is not on the x-axis, why is PP' bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P? :confused:

I can visually see what's happening but how can I show it? Please help

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Your notation is exceedingly unclear.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is P'P?

I'm completely lost myself.

I see your matrices and all, but that's about it.

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4
    Can anyone crack this one??:uhh:

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I started to do this yesterday but the Tex apparently wasn't working.

The best I can say is do it!! Let P be (x,y) (with y non-zero) and multiply it by D: P'= DP so that you have P' in terms of x and y.

What is the midpoint of the line segment PP'? what is the slope of that line?

7. Feb 9, 2006 #6

Well I get that the midpoint of the line segment PP' is the x-axis and the line is y = 1/4 x which means the slope is tan-1 (0.25) so theta = 14.04 degrees? Is this correct?

8. Feb 9, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The midpoint of PP' is on the x-axis. What does that tell you about "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"?

Technically, the slope is 1/4, slope is not the angle. In any case, the slope does not depend on the point P?? What does that tell you about "and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P"?

9. Feb 9, 2006 #8
    I can't answer the why in the "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"? I can only say that the x-axis will be the midpoint of any P chosen except if it's on the x-axis itself. But that of course is a consequence, can't answer why :-(

Honestly I can't answer this question, I'm going to give it a miss I think. I can visualise see it by I can't explain why. The lines PP' will always be parallel but a part from that what can I say?

10. Feb 9, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

"Bisect" means "divide into equal parts". If the midpoint of PP' is always on the x-axis then the x-axis bisects the PP'!

And if the lines PP' are always parallel, no matter what P is, then they cross the x-axis at a constant angle, don't they?

That's all this problem is asking you to say!

11. Feb 9, 2006 #10
    Thanks Sir that will do :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook