Matrices Commuting with Matrix Exponential

In summary: I've tried finding a theorem or something, but so far haven't had much luck.You can prove it using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Does ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## imply ##[A,B]=0##?
The summary pretty much explains my question. I know that ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## if ##[A,B]=0## (and can prove it), but I can't figure out how to prove if it is or is not an "if and only if" statement.

Thanks in advance!

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
I would look for a counterexample. A nilpotent matrix ##B## of degree three or four perhaps. You need at least the square for a counterexample.

I haven't much background in matrix theory. However wouldn't ##[A,B]=0## imply ##[A,e^B]=A##? Expand ##e^B## in power series and the first term ends up as ##[A,I]##.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
mathman said:
I haven't much background in matrix theory. However wouldn't ##[A,B]=0## imply ##[A,e^B]=A##? Expand ##e^B## in power series and the first term ends up as ##[A,I]##.
Right, but all matrices commute with the identity, so ##[A,I]=0##.

fresh_42 said:
I would look for a counterexample. A nilpotent matrix ##B## of degree three or four perhaps. You need at least the square for a counterexample.
Ok, I'm working on that. So I am assuming that my statement is not "if and only if." What conditions must be present for ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## to imply ##[A,B]=0##? Also, while a general answer is nice, I'm really only interested in skew-Hermitian matrices, if that makes it any easier.

Well, ##e^B## is unitary then, but I don't see how this helps. It only makes the search for a counterexample more complicated since you cannot just use upper triangular matrices for ##B##.

Where did you get the element ##[\mathfrak{g},G]## from?

I would start with ##n=2## and ##B## diagonal with different eigenvalues. Something like ##e^B=\operatorname{diag}(e^{\pi i},e^{3\pi i})## and then look for an ##A## which does not commute with ##\operatorname{diag}(\pi i, 3\pi i).##

fresh_42 said:
I would start with ##n=2## and ##B## diagonal with different eigenvalues. Something like ##e^B=\operatorname{diag}(e^{\pi i},e^{3\pi i})## and then look for an ##A## which does not commute with ##\operatorname{diag}(\pi i, 3\pi i).##
Everything that I can think of that does commute with ##e^B=\operatorname{diag}(e^{\pi i},e^{3\pi i})## also commutes with ##\operatorname{diag}(\pi i, 3\pi i).##

fresh_42 said:
Well, eB is unitary then, but I don't see how this helps. It only makes the search for a counterexample more complicated since you cannot just use upper triangular matrices for B.
I was just wondering if there is a general rule about when ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## does imply that ##[A,B]=0## given that A and B are skew-Hermitian (or just in general for two matrices A and B).

Isaac0427 said:
I was just wondering if there is a general rule about when ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## does imply that ##[A,B]=0## given that A and B are skew-Hermitian (or just in general for two matrices A and B).

skew hermitian is an interesting place for this -- such matrices are unitarily diagonalizable and have purely imaginary eigenvalues... so check the kernel of the complex scalar exponential map:
##\exp\big(2i\pi\cdot n\big) = 1##
where ##n## is any integer

The problem you have is for some skew ##S## with spectrum given by ##\{2i\pi\cdot n\}## you have
##e^S = I## and the Identity matrix commutes with everything, but ##S## need not commute with everything

you should be able to engineer an countexample from here -- I'd probably use a 3x3 matrices for it, where ##S## is diagonal with ##[0, 2i\pi ,4 i\pi ]## on the diagonal, and ##A## some skew hermitian matrix that has no zeros anywhere on it. ##SA## has all zeros on its first row but not its first column, and ##AS## has all zeros on first column but not first row, so they do not commute, yet
##\left[ A, e^S \right] = \left[ A, I \right]=0##

Likes PeroK, etotheipi and Isaac0427
StoneTemplePython said:
skew hermitian is an interesting place for this -- such matrices are unitarily diagonalizable and have purely imaginary eigenvalues... so check the kernel of the complex scalar exponential map:
##\exp\big(2i\pi\cdot n\big) = 1##
where ##n## is any integer

The problem you have is for some skew ##S## with spectrum given by ##\{2i\pi\cdot n\}## you have
##e^S = I## and the Identity matrix commutes with everything, but ##S## need not commute with everything

you should be able to engineer an countexample from here -- I'd probably use a 3x3 matrices for it, where ##S## is diagonal with ##[0, 2i\pi ,4 i\pi ]## on the diagonal, and ##A## some skew hermitian matrix that has no zeros anywhere on it. ##SA## has all zeros on its first row but not its first column, and ##AS## has all zeros on first column but not first row, so they do not commute, yet
##\left[ A, e^S \right] = \left[ A, I \right]=0##
Ah, thank you. As an easy example,
$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 & 2\pi i
\end{pmatrix}$$
and
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i\\
i & 2
\end{pmatrix}.$$

Still curious if anyone has an idea about what conditions in addition to ##[A,e^B]=0## are necessary to know that ##[A,B]=0##.

Isaac0427 said:
$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 & 2\pi i
\end{pmatrix}$$
and
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i\\
i & 2
\end{pmatrix}.$$

Still curious if anyone has an idea about what conditions in addition to ##[A,e^B]=0## are necessary to know that ##[A,B]=0##.
note:

$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i\\
i & 2
\end{pmatrix}.$$
is not skew hermitian (check the diagonals)

Isaac0427 said:

For this, again with skew hermitian matrices in mind, one approach is to restrict the eigenvalues some how so that the exponential function is injective. E.g. constraining so all eigenvalues to have modulus ##\lt \pi## should do it.

The result is that whatever diagonalizes ##e^B## diagonalizes ##B## and if ##e^B## and ##A## commute then they are both simultanouesly diagonalizable, by ##U##, which in turn simultaneously diagonalizes ##B## and ##A## which implies ##B## and ##A## commute.

Isaac0427 said:
$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 & 2\pi i
\end{pmatrix}$$
and
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i\\
i & 2
\end{pmatrix}.$$

I would look into matrix logairthims

Isaac0427 said:
Summary:: Does ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## imply ##[A,B]=0##?

The summary pretty much explains my question. I know that ##\left[ A, e^B \right]=0## if ##[A,B]=0## (and can prove it), but I can't figure out how to prove if it is or is not an "if and only if" statement.

Thanks in advance!
Here's a counterexample using Pauli spin matrices. We know that:
$$\exp(-i2\pi \sigma_k) = I$$
commutes with everything, but the ##\sigma_k## do not.

• Informative
Likes Abhishek11235, etotheipi and DrClaude
Isaac0427 said:
Right, but all matrices commute with the identity, so ##[A,I]=0##.
##[A,I]=A## for any matrix.

mathman said:
##[A,I]=A## for any matrix.
No. ##[X,Y]## is short for ##XY-YX## if ##X,Y## are algebra elements, and ##X^{-1}Y^{-1}XY## if ##X,Y## are group elements. So the result is either ##[A,I]=0## or ##[A,I]=I##.

fresh_42 said:
No. ##[X,Y]## is short for ##XY-YX## if ##X,Y## are algebra elements, and ##X^{-1}Y^{-1}XY## if ##X,Y## are group elements. So the result is either ##[A,I]=0## or ##[A,I]=I##.
It looks like I misunderstood the symbolism. I thought it ([...]) meant product.

StoneTemplePython said:
note:

$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i\\
i & 2
\end{pmatrix}.$$
is not skew hermitian (check the diagonals)
For some reason...I just forgot that the diagonals existed. Let’s change that second matrix to
$$\begin{pmatrix}
i & 3\\
-3 & 2i
\end{pmatrix}.$$ Whoops

If A commutes with exp(tB) for real t in some interval about 0, then I think A and B commute.

zinq said:
If A commutes with exp(tB) for real t in some interval about 0, then I think A and B commute.
Only if you cut the quadratic terms onwards. Will say: no, but good enough for physicists.

• Haha
Likes Isaac0427
zinq said:
And what do you think about all the countereaxmples above?

Fair enough. (I still suspect [A exp(tB)] = 0 for t in (-ε, ε) implies [A,B] = 0 for *almost all B*, but I'm not sure I can identify the exact exceptions. )

Sorry, I missed where it was "proven otherwise".

And are you sure that etB = eteB ?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Only if you cut the quadratic terms onwards. Will say: no, but good enough for physicists.
Speaking of physics, while this was really a math question, this was the context that I was asking it in (just in case someone may have any thoughts about the specific application of my question):

In quantum mechanics, say you have a Hermitian operator Q that commutes with the Hamiltonian. Thus the observable quantity corresponding to Q is conserved, which implies a symmetry by Noether's theorem. At least for the cases of momentum and energy conservation, this symmetry is an invariance of the energy under some unitary transformation ##U=e^{iQ}## (i.e. translational symmetry for momentum conservation and time-translation symmetry for energy conservation). In these cases, both [Q,H]=0 and ##[e^{iQ},H]=0##. I was curious if the symmetry corresponding to the "conservation of Q" could in general be associated with some unitary transformation ##e^{iQ}## and vice versa, but it would seem like that is a no, given that it is possible for ##e^{iQ}## to commute with H without Q commuting with H.

I'm hoping this isn't nonsense. Also, I apologize if this should just be a new thread-- I can do that if I need to.

Isaac0427 said:
Speaking of physics, while this was really a math question, this was the context that I was asking it in (just in case someone may have any thoughts about the specific application of my question):

In quantum mechanics, say you have a Hermitian operator Q that commutes with the Hamiltonian. Thus the observable quantity corresponding to Q is conserved, which implies a symmetry by Noether's theorem. At least for the cases of momentum and energy conservation, this symmetry is an invariance of the energy under some unitary transformation ##U=e^{iQ}## (i.e. translational symmetry for momentum conservation and time-translation symmetry for energy conservation). In these cases, both [Q,H]=0 and ##[e^{iQ},H]=0##. I was curious if the symmetry corresponding to the "conservation of Q" could in general be associated with some unitary transformation ##e^{iQ}## and vice versa, but it would seem like that is a no, given that it is possible for ##e^{iQ}## to commute with H without Q commuting with H.

I'm hoping this isn't nonsense. Also, I apologize if this should just be a new thread-- I can do that if I need to.

There's a relationship between Hermitian and Unitary operators, in that ##U## is unitary iff ##U = e^{iH}## for some Hermitian operator ##H##.

PeroK said:
There's a relationship between Hermitian and Unitary operators, in that ##U## is unitary iff ##U = e^{iH}## for some Hermitian operator ##H##.
Right, I have that part. I've been trying to figure out if this correspondence between Hermitian operators and unitary operators has anything to do with the correspondence between conserved quantities and symmetries (as, if I am not mistaken, a symmetry can be described by a Hamiltonian's invariance under the transformation ##U^\dagger H U##).

zinq said:
Fair enough. (I still suspect [A exp(tB)] = 0 for t in (-ε, ε) implies [A,B] = 0

For skew hermitian matrices this does hold-- as long as you may select small enough ##\epsilon## after knowing ##B##. I said as much in post #12.

StoneTemplePython said:
For skew hermitian matrices this does hold-- as long as you may select small enough ##\epsilon## after knowing ##B##. I said as much in post #12.
It does not hold. Only up to ##O(\varepsilon^2)B^2##. But mathematically it's wrong.

fresh_42 said:
It does not hold. Only up to O(ε2)B2. But mathematically it's wrong.
once again for skew hermitian matrices ##A##, ##B## only

outline of proof:
1.) exponential function is injective when the domain is constrained to purely imaginary ##z\in (−i\pi,i\pi)##. If desired, we can shrink this to, say ##z\in (\frac{−i\pi}{2},\frac{i\pi}{2})##.
2.) B is unitarily diagonalizable with purely imaginary eigenvalues, and for real ##t## sufficiently close to zero, i.e. all ##t\in (-\epsilon, \epsilon)##, then ##tB## has eigenvalues solely in the above interval. Call this ##B':=tB##.
3.) ##[A,e^{B^′}]=0\longrightarrow A## and ##e^{B'}## may be simultaneously diagonalized
4.) ##e^{B^′}## has the same eigenvectors/ eigenspace as ##B^{′}##, i.e.
##\ker\big(e^{B^{'}} - \lambda I \big) =\ker\big(B' - \log(\lambda) I \big)## . This is the standard principal argument and is unique because of (1).
5.) ##A## and ##B^′## may be simultaneously diagonalized by ##U##
6.) ##[A,B^{'}]=0 ##
- - - -
Looking at this in terms of a power series really misses the mark as we have powerful diagonalization theorems that we may lean on.

PS:
after writing this up and editing (it is late at night so gaps can creep into my posts) the PF server bizarely overwrote all my LaTeX into some mixture of blank spaces and plain text; I think it has something to do with the 'preview' function... I tried to rewrite everything and fix this, but who knows.

Likes fresh_42
zinq said:
Sorry, I missed where it was "proven otherwise".

And are you sure that etB = eteB ?
No, sorry, I was tired and what I posted was nonsense. Apologies.

Thanks.

StoneTemplePython said:
Looking at this in terms of a power series really misses the mark as we have powerful diagonalization theorems that we may lean on.
And if you want to kill the last "by-foot" step, you could substitute 4) by the adjoint representations and that exp is a local diffeo around 0.

1. What is the definition of "Matrices Commuting with Matrix Exponential"?

Matrices commuting with matrix exponential refers to a property of two matrices where their exponential functions commute, meaning that the order in which they are multiplied does not affect the result.

2. Why is it important for matrices to commute with matrix exponential?

This property is important because it simplifies calculations and makes it easier to solve equations involving matrices. It also has applications in areas such as differential equations and quantum mechanics.

3. How can I determine if two matrices commute with matrix exponential?

Two matrices commute with matrix exponential if and only if they have the same eigenvectors. This can be checked by calculating the eigenvectors for each matrix and comparing them.

4. Are all matrices able to commute with matrix exponential?

No, not all matrices can commute with matrix exponential. In order for two matrices to commute, they must be square matrices with the same dimensions.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrices commuting with matrix exponential?

This concept has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in solving systems of differential equations, analyzing circuits, and calculating the time evolution of quantum systems.