1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices proof.

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    28. Let A be an m x n matrix with a row consisting entirely of zeros. Show that if B is an n x p matrix, then BA has a row of zeros.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]A = (aij)_{mxn}[/itex] and [itex]B = (bij)_{nxp}[/itex]. Assuming that the entries for jth column of A are all zeros, I infer that the jth column of BA is also a row of zeros. Let [itex]cij[/itex] be an entry in jth column. By the definition of multiplication:
    [tex] cij = b_{i1}a_{j1} + b_{i2}a_{j2} + ...+ b_{in}a_{nj} = \sum_{k=1}^n b_{ik}a_{kj}[/tex]

Since the jth column of A is zero, then there is:
    [itex]a_{1j} = a_{2j} = ... = a_{nj} = 0[/itex]. Hence, [itex]cij = 0[/itex] and, therefore, the jth column of BA is a column of zeros.

Did I do this proof correctly? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're given that one row of A consists of zeros. You can't also assume that one column (column j) is all zeros.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook