Is diagonalizability necessary for computing the matrix exponential?

In summary, the matrix exponential can be computed for any matrix A if it can be diagonalized, meaning its eigenvectors are linearly independent. This is because for any analytic function f, f(A) can be expressed as U-1 f(D) U, where D is the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues and U is the matrix of eigenvectors. The proof for this is straightforward and the formal definition of the exponential involves a series expansion. In the case of a diagonal matrix, the series is convergent and can be used to compute the exponential. However, the eigenvectors of A must be linearly independent for it to be diagonalizable and for its exponential to be computed.
AirForceOne
Hi,

Suppose I have this matrix A:
83gQG.jpg

Why is the matrix exponential like so:
vH2LQ.jpg

when A is not simple (eigenvalues not distinct)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does not matter. As long as you can diagonalize your matrix for any analytic function f you have (let A = U-1DU with di eigenvalues)

f(A) = U-1 f(D) U

where f(D) is the diagonal matrix with elements f(di).

The proof is not hard you just expand f in a series (due to analyticity) put in U-1 D U and do some algebra.

In your case, the matrix is already diagonal. For any analytic function the formal definition is anyway given in terms of the series expansion and in the case of exponential

exp(A) = 1 + A + A^2/2! + ...

where you can show that this series is convergent etc etc.

Sina said:
Does not matter. As long as you can diagonalize your matrix for any analytic function f you have (let A = U-1DU with di eigenvalues)

f(A) = U-1 f(D) U

where f(D) is the diagonal matrix with elements f(di).

The proof is not hard you just expand f in a series (due to analyticity) put in U-1 D U and do some algebra.

In your case, the matrix is already diagonal. For any analytic function the formal definition is anyway given in terms of the series expansion and in the case of exponential

exp(A) = 1 + A + A^2/2! + ...

where you can show that this series is convergent etc etc.

Okay, I understand now. So A must be diagonalizable in order to compute its exponential. For A to be diagonalizable, its eigenvectors must be linearly independent. I calculated A's eigenvalues to be σ (repeated). When I calculated its eigenvectors, I get [anything, anything]. Does this translate to being linearly independent?

1. What is the Matrix Exponential?

The matrix exponential is a mathematical operation that can be performed on a square matrix to obtain another matrix as a result. It is similar to the regular exponential function, but instead of a scalar value, it operates on a matrix.

2. How is the Matrix Exponential Calculated?

The matrix exponential is calculated using the formula e^A = I + A + A^2/2! + A^3/3! + ..., where A is the input matrix and I is the identity matrix. This formula is derived from the Taylor series expansion of the regular exponential function.

3. What are the Applications of Matrix Exponential?

Matrix exponential has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of differential equations, simulate dynamical systems, and analyze network models, among others.

4. What are the Properties of Matrix Exponential?

The matrix exponential has several important properties, including:

• The matrix exponential of a diagonal matrix is equal to the diagonal matrix with the exponential of each diagonal element.
  • The matrix exponential of a sum of matrices is equal to the product of the individual matrix exponentials.
  • The matrix exponential of a transpose matrix is equal to the transpose of the matrix exponential.

5. Is the Matrix Exponential Always Defined?

No, the matrix exponential is only defined for square matrices. Additionally, the matrix must have all of its eigenvalues within the convergence radius of the Taylor series expansion for the matrix exponential to be calculated accurately.