How Is X Expressed Using Inverse Matrices in the Equation AX + B = DC^-1?

• Thread starter cmcc3119
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the quiz topic was how to find the inverse of a square matrix, and the answer was found by multiplying the matrix on the left by its inverse.
cmcc3119
[SOLVED] Matirx help please

Hey, I have a quiz tomorrow and I was hoping someone could explain how this answer was formed from a question on the practice quiz.

Suppose A, B, C, D are square matrices of the same size and that A and C are invertible. Given that AX + B = DC^-1 ( Sorry it's meant to say D* C inverse), express X in terms of the other matrices.

Solution: X = A^-1*DC^-1 - A^-1*B.

I am confused as my initial reaction was to just rearrange the given equation but sure enough this was too simple and did not give the same answer as you can't just separate A from X right?

Please can someone explain the steps they took in getting that answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did it not give the same answer when you rearranged the equation? What did you get? Remember that matrix multiplication is not commutative (in general); that is, [itex]AB\neq BA[/itex]

I don't see anything wrong with that, assuming X is the same size as the other four matrices.

well I don't understand how they have attached an extra A^-1 to the B for the final part of the solution. Why wouldn't it just remain as -B?

cmcc3119 said:
well I don't understand how they have attached an extra A^-1 to the B for the final part of the solution. Why wouldn't it just remain as -B?

So you've got this [itex]AX+B=DC^{-1}[/itex], subtracting B from both sides yields [itex]AX=DC^{-1}-B[/itex] right? But this isn't the same as what you want; you have a multiplication of A on the LHS. What would you do next?

Hahahaha derr... So sorry yes I just realized the answer is really REALLY simple I was forgetting to multiply the whole RHS not just DC^-1 by a denominator of 1/A.

Thank you muchly for your help though :)

Cristo if you have a chance could you please look at the other post i made tonight as no one has replied yet and I am more concerned about not understanding that one...

Sorry to be a pain and I understand if you can't be bothered!

ciao

You're welcome and, yes, I'll take a look.

What is matrix help and why is it useful?

Matrix help is a tool used in mathematics to solve equations involving matrices. It is useful because it allows for efficient and accurate calculations, especially when dealing with large sets of data or complex equations.

How do you solve for X in a matrix equation?

To solve for X in a matrix equation, you first need to set up the equation in the form of AX = B, where A represents the coefficients of the matrix, X represents the unknown variables, and B represents the resulting values. Then, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule to solve for X.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving for X in a matrix equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for X in a matrix equation include not setting up the equation correctly, misinterpreting the given data, or making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and use proper notation to avoid these mistakes.

Can matrix help be used for any type of equation?

No, matrix help is specifically designed for solving equations that involve matrices. It may not be suitable for other types of equations, such as trigonometric equations or differential equations.

Are there any online resources for learning more about matrix help and solving for X?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as tutorials, videos, and practice problems, that can help you learn more about matrix help and how to solve for X in matrix equations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Math is Fun, and MathHelp.com.