Max Volume Suitcase Homework: Solving Max/Min Problems

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the object is to fold and then cut square corners from a standard 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper to create a suitcase of maximal volume. The Attempt at a Solution states that 93.5=2(8.5-2x)(11-2x)+2(11-2x)2x+2(2x)(8.5-2x)x=1.375. x=1.375. Then i try to build it out of a piece of paper and it doesn't close like it is suppose too, can anyone figure out where I went wrong it would be greatly appreciated.
Punkyc7

Homework Statement

The object is to fold and then cut square corners from a standard 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper to create a suitcase of maximal volume

Homework Equations

V=L*W*H
SA=2LW+2LH+2WH

The Attempt at a Solution

93.5=2(8.5-2x)(11-2x)+2(11-2x)2x+2(2x)(8.5-2x)
x=1.375

then i plugg it into the Volume equation my lenghts are
(8.5-2(1.375))=5.75
(11-2(1.375))=8.25
1.375=1.375

Then i try to build it out of a piece of paper and it doesn’t close like it is suppose too, can anyone figure out where I went wrong it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What does surface area have to do with this problem? And how do you fold and then cut corners out? And how do you fold it to make a suitcase with the corners missing?

Please state the problem, word for word, from your text, along with any pictures they give.

That was word for word. I am not sure if you needed the surface area i was just trying to solve for x since there is only so much paper. So you have a piece of paper an you have to cut the corners out to construct a box with the maximum volume inclosed. So their must be a lid on the box so its like a suitcase.

It's not closing because you're making an open box from what I can see.

I assume x means the height and this is the type of box you're supposed to be creating (I'm unsure if this design will make for max volume though):

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/654/boxlayout.png

where a=8.5, b=11

So [itex]8.5-2h=w[/itex]
and [itex]11-2h=2l[/itex] while it looks like you made it [itex]11-2h=l[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Punkyc7 said:
That was word for word. I am not sure if you needed the surface area i was just trying to solve for x since there is only so much paper. So you have a piece of paper an you have to cut the corners out to construct a box with the maximum volume inclosed. So their must be a lid on the box so its like a suitcase.

You can make an open top box by folding up the flaps after cutting square corners out of the paper. I have no idea how to fold it to make a closed container. Are you certain the box is to be closed? You can still calculate the volume a box would hold even if it doesn't have a top.

LCKurtz said:
You can make an open top box by folding up the flaps after cutting square corners out of the paper. I have no idea how to fold it to make a closed container. Are you certain the box is to be closed? You can still calculate the volume a box would hold even if it doesn't have a top.

yea the box must have a top

Punkyc7 said:
yea the box must have a top

Please supply a picture of how you cut square corners out of a sheet of paper then fold it to make a closed rectangular box. I don't see how you do that and you can't work the problem without knowing how it is folded.

LCKurtz said:
Please supply a picture...
And is my picture just for decoration?

Mentallic said:
And is my picture just for decoration?

Your picture does not show cutting square corners from the sheet as the OP requires. I can't speak to how decorative it is. :smile:

Yea, as I read it, its an open topped box from the fact that the corners cut out must be square. Presumably you will make the lid separately, or travel with all your stuff open to the elements.

LCKurtz said:
Your picture does not show cutting square corners from the sheet as the OP requires. I can't speak to how decorative it is. :smile:

Oh gosh you're right! Actually... *attempts to cover mistake ingeniously*.. I assumed square corners implied rectangles :biggrin:

In that case, I second post #2. How do you do it?

What is the Max Volume Suitcase Homework?

The Max Volume Suitcase Homework is a math problem that involves finding the dimensions of a suitcase that has the maximum volume, given certain constraints such as the total surface area or perimeter of the suitcase.

Why is solving max/min problems important?

Solving max/min problems is important because it allows us to find the optimal solution to a given problem, whether it is in math, science, engineering, or other fields. It helps us make informed decisions and maximize efficiency.

What are the steps to solving a max/min problem?

The steps to solving a max/min problem include: understanding the problem, identifying the variables and constraints, creating an equation or function to represent the problem, finding the derivative of the equation, setting the derivative equal to zero, solving for the variable, and checking for the maximum or minimum value.

What are some common strategies for solving max/min problems?

Some common strategies for solving max/min problems include using the derivative to find the critical points, using the first or second derivative test to determine if the critical points are maxima or minima, and using graphs or tables to visualize the problem and its solutions.

How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging it back into the original problem and checking if it satisfies all of the given constraints. You can also use a calculator or online graphing tool to graph the original function and your solution to visually confirm that it is the maximum or minimum point.