Max Depth of Submarine Modeling: 80kpa

In summary, the conversation discussed the challenge of coming up with an equation to model the maximum height a submarine can go underwater while withstanding a maximum pressure of 80kpa. There was a mention of using integrals, but it was noted that it may not be necessary. It was also mentioned that hydrostatic pressure and depth have a simpler relationship than one may think, and that integrals may not be needed to solve the problem.
HighHoAg
Hello, I'm working on a project, and my teacher gave me something to think about, but I am at a loss. He wants me to come up with an equation to model the maximum height a submarine can go underwater, if it can withstand a maximum pressure of 80kpa. I started thinking it was an integral problem, integ(dP/dz) but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does hydrostatic pressure depend on depth? (It's simpler than you think.)

it would be very cool if you solve that with integrals, but its a lot more than you need, really

What they said. No integrals required.

1m head of water = 0.1bar = 10kpa

Hello there, it's great that you are working on a project involving submarine modeling. I can provide some insights to help you come up with an equation for the maximum depth a submarine can go underwater.

Firstly, it is important to understand the relationship between pressure and depth in water. As a submarine goes deeper into the water, the pressure around it increases due to the weight of the water above it. This increase in pressure is directly proportional to the depth, which means that the deeper the submarine goes, the higher the pressure it will experience.

Now, let's consider the maximum pressure of 80kpa that the submarine can withstand. This pressure is equivalent to a depth of approximately 800 meters (assuming a density of 1000 kg/m^3 for seawater). This means that the submarine can safely go up to a depth of 800 meters without experiencing any damage due to pressure.

To model this relationship mathematically, we can use the hydrostatic equation: P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid (seawater in this case), g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the depth.

Rearranging this equation, we get h = P/(ρg). Substituting the maximum pressure of 80kpa and the density of seawater, we get h = 80kpa / (1000 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8.16 meters.

Therefore, the maximum depth that the submarine can go is 8.16 meters, which is equivalent to 800 meters of seawater.

I hope this helps you in coming up with an equation for your project. Remember to always consider the relevant physical principles and equations when modeling a real-life scenario. Good luck with your project!

Related to Max Depth of Submarine Modeling: 80kpa

1. What is the significance of 80kpa in submarine modeling?

The 80kpa in submarine modeling refers to the maximum depth that a submarine can safely operate at, without risking structural damage or compromising the safety of the crew. This depth is equivalent to approximately 800 meters below sea level.

2. How is the maximum depth of a submarine determined?

The maximum depth of a submarine is determined by several factors, including the strength and design of the hull, the pressure tolerance of the materials used, and the capabilities of the propulsion and life support systems. Extensive testing and simulation are also conducted to determine the maximum safe depth.

3. Can a submarine go deeper than 80kpa?

It is possible for a submarine to go deeper than 80kpa, however, it would require significant modifications and advancements in technology. The current maximum depth for submarines is around 1000 meters, achieved by specialized deep-sea research vessels.

4. Is the maximum depth limit the same for all submarines?

No, the maximum depth limit can vary depending on the type and design of the submarine. Some military submarines may have a higher maximum depth due to their specialized construction and advanced technology, while smaller recreational submarines may have a lower maximum depth.

5. What happens if a submarine goes beyond its maximum depth?

If a submarine goes beyond its maximum depth, it may experience structural damage or failure, resulting in a loss of control and potentially endangering the crew. The extreme pressure at deeper depths can also lead to equipment malfunctions and other safety hazards. It is crucial for submarines to stay within their maximum depth limit for the safety of the crew and the vessel.