Max height, freely follwing question

In summary, the object is released from a height of 32.8m and travels for a total of 1.5 seconds before reaching the ground. Using the equation v=at+initial velocity, the initial velocity is calculated to be 14.7 m/s. With this information, the problem can be solved by setting up simultaneous equations and solving for the initial height.
georgelopez00
A certain freely falling object requires 1.5s to travel the last 30.0 m before it hits the ground. from what height above the ground did it fall?
The answer is 32.8 m but i don't no how to get it. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to at least have a go at the question or say what you think you MIGHT DO or perhaps what equations might be relevant... for all I know I might have spent as much time writing this reply as you have spent on the problem

loonychune said:
You have to at least have a go at the question or say what you think you MIGHT DO or perhaps what equations might be relevant... for all I know I might have spent as much time writing this reply as you have spent on the problem

i used the equation v=at+inital velocity. i figured the velocity is 0 m/s so i got the inital velocity as 14.7 m\s

Let's try to rethink the problem.

You have an object that is released from some height we do not know (32.8m according to your answer).
It travels for some length of time greater than 1.5 seconds.
During the FINAL 1.5 seconds it travels 30m.

You did not state in the question, but I'm assuming that the object is released from REST (i.e. when at the height 32.8m).

Now you know a few different variables in a couple of equations for different parts of the journey. Then it's a matter of solving simultaneous equations.

See this post, a very similar problem:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=252886

1. What is the definition of "Max height"?

"Max height" refers to the maximum vertical distance that an object can reach when it is freely falling under the influence of gravity.

2. How is "Max height" calculated?

The maximum height reached by an object in free fall can be calculated using the equation h = (v2 - u2)/2g, where h is the max height, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2 on Earth).

3. Does the mass of the object affect its "Max height"?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its maximum height in free fall. The only factors that affect the max height are the initial and final velocities and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Why is "Max height" important in physics?

"Max height" is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in free fall. It also allows us to calculate other important variables such as time of flight and velocity at a specific height.

5. Can an object exceed its "Max height" in free fall?

No, an object cannot exceed its maximum height in free fall. Once it reaches its maximum height, it will start to fall back down due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.