Max Incline for Equipment: What is the Optimal Slope for Preventing Sliding?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the slope/incline/decline at which a 10,000lb piece of equipment will start sliding on a flat surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.2. The answer is 11.54 degrees, which can be found using the equation α = arcsin (2,000 / 10,000) or by converting the slope of 20% to degrees. The final question is whether this calculation is correct.
Lazorbeam
Hey guys,

Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right here with some simple calcs. My physics days are long gone and it's been a while since I looked at any of this stuff.

A 10,000lb piece of equipment is placed on a flat surface. 2,000lbs horizontal pounds-force is required to move it (brakes on).

Assuming the type of surface is the same, what slope/incline/decline does the equipment start sliding?

The answer I have is quite simply;

α = arcsin (2,000 / 10,000)
α = 11.54 degrees

Or, even simpler, since the coefficient of friction (more like sliding resistance) is 0.2, the slope is 20% which converts to 11.54 degrees.

Please confirm that I have not yet gone senile. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section as this is very homework-like.

Lazorbeam said:
α = arcsin (2,000 / 10,000)
α = 11.54 degrees
If the 2000 N are independent of the incline, that is right.
Usually, that force depends on the angle (but the coefficient of friction is constant).

Lazorbeam said:
Please confirm that I have not yet gone senile. Thank you.
No way for us to confirm that.

I think that if you work this all out for an object on an incline with friction, μ = tan(θ). (It's only a slightly different result for your example.) There is a component of the weight parallel to the incline surface, when you tilt the incline.

The details are a bit different for static vs. kinetic friction, but that's the general result.

Related to Max Incline for Equipment: What is the Optimal Slope for Preventing Sliding?

What is the max incline for equipment?

The maximum incline for equipment refers to the highest angle at which a machine or exercise equipment can be adjusted to simulate an uphill or elevated surface. This is usually measured in degrees or a percentage grade.

Why is the max incline important for equipment?

The max incline is important because it determines the level of difficulty and intensity of a workout. Higher inclines can target different muscle groups and increase the challenge for the user.

What is the recommended max incline for a treadmill?

The recommended max incline for a treadmill is typically 10-15%, although some models may have a higher maximum incline. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and start at a lower incline if you are new to using a treadmill.

Can you adjust the max incline on equipment?

Yes, most exercise equipment allows you to adjust the incline to your desired level. Some machines may have preset incline levels, while others may have the option to manually adjust the incline to any desired angle.

What are the benefits of using a machine with a high max incline?

A machine with a high max incline can provide a more challenging and effective workout. It can also target different muscle groups and improve cardiovascular endurance. Additionally, using a higher incline can help simulate outdoor activities like hiking or running on hilly terrain.