1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Incline for Equipment

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right here with some simple calcs. My physics days are long gone and it's been a while since I looked at any of this stuff.

A 10,000lb piece of equipment is placed on a flat surface. 2,000lbs horizontal pounds-force is required to move it (brakes on).

Assuming the type of surface is the same, what slope/incline/decline does the equipment start sliding?

The answer I have is quite simply;

α = arcsin (2,000 / 10,000)
    α = 11.54 degrees

Or, even simpler, since the coefficient of friction (more like sliding resistance) is 0.2, the slope is 20% which converts to 11.54 degrees.

Please confirm that I have not yet gone senile. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I moved the thread to our homework section as this is very homework-like.

If the 2000 N are independent of the incline, that is right.
    Usually, that force depends on the angle (but the coefficient of friction is constant).

4. Apr 3, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No way for us to confirm that.

I think that if you work this all out for an object on an incline with friction, μ = tan(θ). (It's only a slightly different result for your example.) There is a component of the weight parallel to the incline surface, when you tilt the incline.

The details are a bit different for static vs. kinetic friction, but that's the general result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted