Max of the absolute value of a polynomial

In summary, the maximum value of |P_1(x)| for x in [x_0,x_1] is h^2/4, where h = x_1 - x_0. This can be proven using Rolle's Theorem and the fact that the x_i terms are evenly spaced. Additionally, for P_2(x), the maximum value with x in [x_0,x_2] is (2*(3)^(1/2)/9)*h^3, where x_0 = 0, x_1 = h, and x_2 = 2h, or x_0 = -h, x_1 = 0, and x_2 = h, as
Sick0Fant
What I have is this:

Let P_n(x)=(x-x_0)(x-x_1)...(x-x_n), _i are subscripts.
Prove that the maximum value of |P_1(x)| for x in [x_0,x_1] is h^2/4, where h =x_1 - x_0.

All the x_i terms are evenly spaced. That is, x_(i+1)-x_i is the same for all i.

What I noticed is that P_1(x_0)=P_1(x_1)=0. So by Rolle's Theorem, there exists a c in [x_0,x_1] such that P_1'(c) = 0. Since the polynomial is of degree two, there will be at most one of these points. Also, since we are taking the absolute value of the function, that point is guaranteed to be the maximum. Problem is, I do not get that the max is h^2/4.

P_1'(x) = 2x - x_0 - x_1.
=> x = (x_0+x_1)/2.

Is there something I'm missing? Edit: yes there was... I found the maximum x, not the function value that that input returns. ;-) Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've got a follow-up question:

I have to prove that the maximum value of |P_2(x)| with x in [x_0,x_2] is (2*(3)^(1/2)/9)*h^3.

Any ideas?

x_0 = 0
x_1 = h
x_2=2hor try

x_0=-h
x_1=0
x_2=h

(so P_2 is and odd function)

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch!

Related to Max of the absolute value of a polynomial

What does "Max of the absolute value of a polynomial" mean?

The "Max of the absolute value of a polynomial" refers to the highest possible value that can be obtained by taking the absolute value of all the coefficients in a polynomial equation. This value is also known as the maximum absolute value or the absolute maximum.

Why is finding the max of the absolute value of a polynomial important?

Finding the max of the absolute value of a polynomial is important because it helps in determining the range of possible values that the polynomial can take. It also helps in identifying the highest and lowest points of a polynomial graph, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization and data analysis.

How do you find the max of the absolute value of a polynomial?

To find the max of the absolute value of a polynomial, you need to first take the absolute value of all the coefficients in the polynomial equation. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as differentiation and setting the derivative equal to zero to find the critical points. The absolute maximum will be the highest value among these critical points.

Can the max of the absolute value of a polynomial be negative?

Yes, the max of the absolute value of a polynomial can be negative. This can happen when the polynomial has negative coefficients, and the absolute value of these coefficients results in a negative value. In this case, the absolute maximum will be the highest negative value among the critical points.

What are some real-life applications of finding the max of the absolute value of a polynomial?

Finding the max of the absolute value of a polynomial can be useful in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, it can help in determining the maximum stress and load capacity of a structure. In economics, it can assist in analyzing market trends and identifying the maximum profit or loss potential. In physics, it can help in predicting the maximum displacement or velocity of an object.