Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped?

In summary, it is not clear why this is in Relativity, but the monotomic hydrogen in the LHC has only one electron stripped and is going pretty darn fast.
DanMP
TL;DR Summary
What is the maximum speed we accelerated molecules without striping more than one electron?
I know that we accelerated charged particles very close to the speed of light. How about a full molecule, with at least 2 nuclei and most of the electrons? What is the maximum speed achieved/recorded before the molecule broke apart?

I ask this question because I'm afraid that the maximum speed of travel for complex structures (like us, our robots, etc.) may be much lower than c. If it is much lower, then interstellar travel may be even less possible/appealing.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
DanMP said:
How about a full molecule, with at least 2 nuclei and most of the electrons?
Speed itself has no effect on a bound system. It can't by the principle of relativity.

It's possible that a large enough acceleration could cause a molecule to break apart, but that doesn't limit the speed you can reach, it just limits the acceleration you can use to reach it.

Likes Motore, Dale, russ_watters and 1 other person
Other side of the coin: since speed is relative, we/earth are already traveling at high relativistic speed in/with respect to some frames/objects.

DanMP said:
I'm afraid that the maximum speed of travel for complex structures (like us, our robots, etc.) may be much lower than c.
There is no experimental or theoretical basis for this fear.

Likes DanMP and russ_watters
It's not clear why this is in Relativity, but the monotomic hydrogen in the LHC has only one electron stripped and is going pretty darn fast.

If this doesn't "count", as I suspect it doesn't, we can add this thread to the list of the OP's "guess what I mean" threads.

Likes phinds, Dale, berkeman and 1 other person
PeterDonis said:
Speed itself has no effect on a bound system. It can't by the principle of relativity.

It's possible that a large enough acceleration could cause a molecule to break apart, but that doesn't limit the speed you can reach, it just limits the acceleration you can use to reach it.
So, if the acceleration is low enough we can reach any speed, below c, without braking apart?

I was about to ask for some estimation of this maximum acceleration and to insist about a maximum speed obtained in a particle accelerator for a molecule with only one electron missing (in order to become charged), but I realized that, at high speeds, centripetal acceleration gets very big, so it's impossible to achieve really high speeds (close to c) for molecules, here on Earth, without very large accelerations.

In this case, there is no point to continue here. Thank you for your answer!

Vanadium 50 said:
the monotomic hydrogen in the LHC has only one electron stripped and is going pretty darn fast
What you offered seems to be a proton, and I said:
DanMP said:
at least 2 nuclei and most of the electrons

DanMP said:
So, if the acceleration is low enough we can reach any speed, below c, without braking apart?
As measured relative to an ion doing 0.9999c in an accelerator, you are doing 0.9999c. Unless you reject the principle of relativity you already have ample evidence that molecules can reach very nearly the speed of light.

Likes russ_watters
DanMP said:
Yes.

DanMP said:
In this case, there is no point to continue here. Thank you for your answer!
You're welcome! This thread is now closed.

1. What is the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped"?

The "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" refers to the maximum velocity that a molecule can reach after having one of its electrons stripped off. This phenomenon is often observed in high-energy collisions between particles.

2. How is the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" measured?

The "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" is typically measured using specialized instruments such as mass spectrometers or particle accelerators. These instruments can accurately measure the velocity of particles and determine the maximum speed that a molecule can reach after losing an electron.

3. What factors affect the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped"?

The "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of molecule, the energy of the collision, and the environment in which the collision occurs. Additionally, the presence of other particles or fields can also affect the maximum speed that a molecule can reach.

4. Why is the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" important to study?

Studying the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles at high energies. This information can also be applied in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and astrophysics.

5. Can the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" be exceeded?

Yes, the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" can be exceeded in certain circumstances. For example, in a particle accelerator, particles can be accelerated to speeds much higher than the "Max Speed of Molecules: 1 Electron Stripped" through the use of powerful electromagnetic fields. However, this maximum speed is still an important limit to consider in many scientific studies.