Max spped for a car to go around a curve track without skidding confusing

In summary, the maximum speed for a car to go around a curve track without skidding is determined by the formula v=(Fr/m)^1/2, where F is the maximum friction force, r is the radius of curvature, and m is the mass of the car. The confusion arises from a different formula used to calculate the maximum speed when the car is toppling instead of skidding.
Brianne
Max spped for a car to go around a curve track without skidding...confusing!

here's my question,

a car of mass 1000kg moves along the corner of a level road having a radius of curvature 35.0m. If the frictional force between the tyres and the road is 4kN, the maximum speed of the car without skidding at the corner is
A. 4.0 m/s
B. 8.8 m/s
C. 11.8 m/s
D. 140.0 m/s

ok, i knew there's a formula for the max spped of a car go around the curve track without skidding is v=(rag/h)^1/2, but is it possible to find the height form centre of gravity of car in the above case? I've tried usin' v=(Fr/m)^1/2 which is derived from the centripetal force, F=(mv^2)/r, nonetheless, if we using v=(Fr/m)^1/2, is this could be the maximum spped of car instead of using v=(rag/h)^1/2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brianne said:
ok, i knew there's a formula for the max spped of a car go around the curve track without skidding is v=(rag/h)^1/2, but is it possible to find the height form centre of gravity of car in the above case?
I have no idea where you got that formula or what "height" it refers to.
I've tried usin' v=(Fr/m)^1/2 which is derived from the centripetal force, F=(mv^2)/r, nonetheless, if we using v=(Fr/m)^1/2,
That's the correct way to work this problem. The maximum friction force will determine the maximum speed.

The difference between skidding and toppling (overturning) is creating the confusion.

If the car is toppling before skidding then we think of height on Center of mass of the car to calculate the torques.

What is the maximum speed a car can go around a curve track without skidding?

The maximum speed a car can go around a curve track without skidding depends on various factors such as the radius of the curve, the weight and type of the car, and the road conditions. Generally, a well-maintained car with good tires can handle speeds up to 60-65 mph on a standard curve track without skidding.

What causes a car to skid on a curve track?

A car may skid on a curve track due to a combination of factors such as excessive speed, poor road conditions, and worn-out tires. The centrifugal force acting on the car can also contribute to skidding, especially on sharp curves.

Can a car skid even if it is going at a slow speed on a curve track?

Yes, a car can still skid on a curve track even if it is going at a slow speed. This can happen if the road is wet or slippery, or if the car's tires are not in good condition. It is important to always drive cautiously and take into account the road conditions.

What is the best way to prevent skidding on a curve track?

The best way to prevent skidding on a curve track is to control your speed and maintain a safe and appropriate speed for the curve. It is also important to keep your tires in good condition and avoid sudden steering or braking movements while going around a curve.

What should I do if my car starts to skid on a curve track?

If your car starts to skid on a curve track, it is important to remain calm and avoid panicking. Do not hit the brakes, as this can worsen the skid. Instead, try to steer in the direction of the skid and gradually reduce your speed. Once the car has regained traction, you can safely continue driving.