Max static friction witout mass or normal force?

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between a small coin and a turntable is 0.30. The turntable rotates at 33.3 RPM, which is equivalent to 3.49 radians per second. By using the equation V = ω (r), we can calculate the maximum distance from the center of the turntable at which the coin will not slide, which is 0.242 meters. This problem can also be solved by using the equation F_cent = m(v^2)/R = F_s_max = (mu_s) · mg and converting the rotational velocity from RPM to radians per second.
Gersty

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between a small coin and a turntable is 0.30. The turntable rotates at 33.3 RPM. What is the max distance from the center of the turntable at which the coin will not slide?

Homework Equations

Fs max =μs (FN)
V = ω (r)

a=(V^2)
-----
r

Fc=m(vt)^2
------
r

The Attempt at a Solution

Didn't get very far. How can this be done without the mass of the coin, or the normal force supporting it? The Force of static friction is the only horizontal force acting on the coin, correct? When the inertia of the coin overcomes this Force of static friction, the coin will slide, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of the frictional force as the centripetal force which keeps the coin in a circular orbit. Therefore, you will see that F=ma=μN=μmg
Notice that the m cancels.

All you need now is just what is the a required?

Just did some more research and found the following:

F_cent = m(v^2)/R = F_s_max = (mu_s) · mg ,

giving us

mu_s = (v^2) / gR .

So we figure out what the total horizontal force could be...
F_cent = m(v^2)/R = F_s_max = (mu_s) · mg
Come up with an equality that features quantities we are interested in...
mu_s = (v^2) / gR
and solve for R?

mu_s is dimensionless
g is in m/s^2
and the answers are all in m.

How can I go from RPMs to something that will give me an answer in meters?

The SI unit of rotational velocity is radians per second or s^(-1). RPM is revolutions per minute. How many radians in one revolution?

You have the equation in your first post! V=omega*r (omega in radians)

You need to convert your RPM into radians/second which will give you omega.

There are 2pi radians in one revolution and 60 seconds in one minute, so...
33.3 RPM (2pi rad/1 REV) (1 min/60 s)= 3.49 rad/s!

So I have r = (v^2)/(mu_s)(g)...and I'm no longer thinking straight.

According to the answer key, the correct answer is 0.242 m. I'm still confused as to how we go from radians to meters. What obvious thing am I missing??

w = 3.49 rad/s is correct. Substitute for V in your equation. Namely V = rw. By the way where does this problem come from? The GRE? I know I have seen it before with these numbers.

Yep. It's from the GRE.
So: r =[(3.49rad/s)(r)]^2/[mu_s(g)] ?

Gersty said:
Yep. It's from the GRE.
So: r =[(3.49rad/s)(r)]^2/[mu_s(g)] ?

Yep just solve for r. You could have all along used rotational velocity instead of just velocity. So mv^2/r = mrw^2. Also if your studying for the GRE I recommend http://grephysics.net. It is a great site that works out all the problems of the 4 tests which have been released.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It occurs between two surfaces that are in contact with each other and is caused by the interlocking of microscopic bumps and ridges on the surfaces.

2. How is maximum static friction calculated?

The maximum static friction between two surfaces can be calculated using the formula: μs = Fs,max / N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, Fs,max is the maximum static friction force, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the maximum static friction?

The maximum static friction between two surfaces is affected by the coefficient of friction, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied.

4. Can the maximum static friction be greater than the normal force?

No, the maximum static friction force cannot be greater than the normal force. The maximum static friction force is directly proportional to the normal force, so as the normal force increases, the maximum static friction also increases.

5. Why is the maximum static friction important?

The maximum static friction is important because it determines the maximum force required to keep an object from moving on a surface. It also plays a crucial role in the stability and safety of structures and objects, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles.