Max.transverse tension in a wave

In summary: Anyway, once you have the power, you can use the following equation to find the maximum power transferred:max_power=F*v
AndreAo

Homework Statement

A transverse sinusoidal wave is generated at one end of a long, horizontal string by a bar that moves up and down through a distance of 1.00cm. The motion is continuous and is repeated regularly 120 times per second. The string has linear density 120 g/m and is kept under a tension of 90.0N. Find (a) the maximum value of the transverse speed u and (b) the maximum value of the transverse component of the tension.

Homework Equations

y(x,t)=A sin(kx-wt) traveling wave
k = [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] angular wave number
w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f angular frequency
v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] wave speed
[tex]\mu[/tex] linear density

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating the values of k and w, and deriving the first equation, I found u = 3.77 m/s the answer in the book say it is 3.66 m/s is anything wrong?
Letter b I have no idea on how to start solving. I tried to calculate it using F = ma, but I don't know how much mass I should consider, and probably this way is not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
AndreAo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating the values of k and w, and deriving the first equation, I found u = 3.77 m/s the answer in the book say it is 3.66 m/s is anything wrong?
Letter b I have no idea on how to start solving. I tried to calculate it using F = ma, but I don't know how much mass I should consider, and probably this way is not right.

(a) Can you show your calculations of k and w? That would help us figure out what is wrong.

(b) First you'll need to figure out what is the maximum angle the string makes with the horizontal direction.

(a)The bar moves up and down 120 times per second, so the frequency f = 120 Hz.
w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f replacing f = 120 Hz, w = 2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*120 = 753,98 s[tex]^{-1}[/tex]. How k = w/v and v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] replacing the value of T = 90 N and [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0,12 kg/m I received v = 27,39 m/s.
k = 752,98/27,39
k = 27,49 m[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
With these values(and amplitude = 0.05) the equation is:
y(x,t)=0,005sin(27,49x - 753,98t)
Deriving in t:
[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]t = -0,005*753,98cos(27,49x - 753,98t) so the max. value of velocity happens when cos -1 and u = 3,77 m/s.

(b)The tan of this max.angle:
[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]x = 0,138 cos(27,49x - 753,98t), which max.value is 0,138. arctan 0,138 = 7,85 degrees, so the angle between the tension and the vertical is 90 - 7,85 = 82,15 degrees. Using T[tex]_{v}[/tex]= cos [tex]\theta[/tex] * T
T[tex]_{v}[/tex] = cos 82,15 * 90
T[tex]_{v}[/tex] =12,3 N, book's answer is 12,2N, i think it's right :D
Thanks a lot!

Yet in this exercise, it asks me what's the maximum power transferred along the string. I know the formula of kinetic energy, but I can't figure out what is the formula for potencial energy on this string. Do I have to first find this formula before calculating the max.value of power? How can I do this?

Sorry, I researched a little and see that:
P = Force x Velocity
Using this formula and replacing the values I get the result

AndreAo said:
(a)The bar moves up and down 120 times per second, so the frequency f = 120 Hz.
w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f replacing f = 120 Hz, w = 2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*120 = 753,98 s[tex]^{-1}[/tex]. How k = w/v and v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] replacing the value of T = 90 N and [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0,12 kg/m I received v = 27,39 m/s.
k = 752,98/27,39
Remember that k=753,98. This will not make a big difference though.
k = 27,49 m[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
With these values(and amplitude = 0.05) the equation is:
y(x,t)=0,005sin(27,49x - 753,98t)
Deriving in t:
[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]t = -0,005*753,98cos(27,49x - 753,98t) so the max. value of velocity happens when cos -1 and u = 3,77 m/s.
Looks good to me, I don't know why your book got a different number. Note also that the answer is (amplitude)*(w), so k did not really enter into this calculation.

(b)The tan of this max.angle:
[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]x = 0,138 cos(27,49x - 753,98t), which max.value is 0,138. arctan 0,138 = 7,85 degrees, so the angle between the tension and the vertical is 90 - 7,85 = 82,15 degrees. Using T[tex]_{v}[/tex]= cos [tex]\theta[/tex] * T
T[tex]_{v}[/tex] = cos 82,15 * 90
T[tex]_{v}[/tex] =12,3 N, book's answer is 12,2N, i think it's right :D
Thanks a lot!
Looks good, you're welcome!

AndreAo said:
Yet in this exercise, it asks me what's the maximum power transferred along the string. I know the formula of kinetic energy, but I can't figure out what is the formula for potencial energy on this string. Do I have to first find this formula before calculating the max.value of power? How can I do this?
Try this page:

Scroll about halfway down the page, to where it says "Energy and Power in a Traveling Harmonic Wave".

Thanks,I find the solution for that problem:
Power = Force * Velocity
Power = (-[tex]\tau[/tex]*[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]x)*[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]t
The negative it's because the force is contrary to the displacement?

FAQ: Max.transverse tension in a wave

1. What is meant by "max.transverse tension" in a wave?

Max.transverse tension refers to the maximum amount of force or stress that occurs in the transverse direction of a wave. This means it is the greatest amount of pulling or stretching force that is experienced by the particles in a wave as it travels through a medium.

2. How is max.transverse tension measured in a wave?

Max.transverse tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter. It can also be measured in units of energy per unit area, such as joules per square meter. These measurements can be obtained through various experimental techniques, such as using force sensors or strain gauges.

3. What factors affect the max.transverse tension in a wave?

The max.transverse tension in a wave is influenced by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. Additionally, the boundary conditions of the medium, such as fixed or free ends, can also affect the max.transverse tension.

4. How does the max.transverse tension impact the behavior of a wave?

The max.transverse tension plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a wave. Higher max.transverse tension can lead to larger amplitudes and shorter wavelengths, while lower max.transverse tension can result in smaller amplitudes and longer wavelengths. It also affects the speed at which a wave travels, as well as its ability to transfer energy.

5. Can the max.transverse tension be exceeded in a wave?

Yes, the max.transverse tension in a wave can be exceeded, especially in cases where the wave encounters a sudden change in medium or encounters an obstacle. This can result in a phenomenon known as wave breaking, where the wave collapses and dissipates its energy. The amount by which the max.transverse tension is exceeded can also affect the severity of the wave breaking.