Max Wheel Radius on Inclines w/ Torque & Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses using data to determine the maximum wheel radius a vehicle can handle before stalling on inclines of varying degrees. The relationship between RPM, torque, and incline is explored, and it is determined that a DC motor will slow down and produce more torque until it reaches zero speed. The conversation also touches on the maximum friction force and how it relates to hill climbing, as well as the motor's ability to adjust its speed and torque based on the load it is carrying.
Jones1987
Hi,

I have a set of data which indicates the maximum radius of the wheel a vehicle can move before it begins to stall.

For example if I have an incline of 10 degree and at 50 RPM / 2Nm my max wheel is 2m.
Then I have an incline of 15 degrees and at 30 RPM / 2.5NM my max wheel is 2.5m.

Does this mean, if I picked a wheel radius of 2m would my vehicle stall at 10degree at a speed of 50RPM, or would it slow down to 30 RPM and be able to climb the higher incline?

If this is not fully clear please mention, it may seem a simple thing to some of you, but I can't to get my head around it. Do DC motors stay at fixed speeds and torques, or do they drop and torque increases?

My assumption is the motor will slow down and produce more torque until the speed reached zero. But it would be helpful for someone to clarify this for me.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jones1987 said:
Hi,
For example if I have an incline of 10 degree and at 50 RPM / 2Nm my max wheel is 2m.
How is the RPM being used? There'll be a minimum torque required to climb a hill with a particular gradient and vehicle weight. I don't see how RPM is involved unless the formula also considers some other effects besides gravity.

My assumption is the motor will slow down and produce more torque until the speed reached zero.
For a DC motor, yes.

Well, I have table data with the torque values at certain RPM. So looking at the table, as the RPM decreases the torque increases which means higher maximum wheel radius.

So if I have a speed in RPM, with a torque value. And the max radius at this point is 2m, but at a lower RPM with a higher torque the max radius increases. My question is, at a certain incline, does the motor realize it requires more torque and begins to slow down. Or does the motor only stick at a specific RPM range depending how much load it is carrying?

The maximum incline you can climb is related to the maximum friction force that the wheel can handle. Once you know that force, then wheel torque = friction force X wheel radius.

See http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for more info (Go at the bottom of the page: Theory »» Longitudinal acceleration »» Hill climbing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jones1987 said:
does the motor realize it requires more torque and begins to slow down. Or does the motor only stick at a specific RPM range depending how much load it is carrying?

Yes to both. It'll slow down when more torque is required. Also, its RPM is determined by how much load it's carrying (ie torque) - climbing the hill counts as a load.

Related to Max Wheel Radius on Inclines w/ Torque & Speed

1. What is the maximum wheel radius that can be used on an incline with torque and speed?

The maximum wheel radius that can be used on an incline with torque and speed depends on various factors such as the weight and size of the object being moved, the incline angle, and the amount of torque and speed needed. A larger wheel radius can provide more torque and speed, but it may also require more power.

2. How does wheel radius affect torque and speed on an incline?

The larger the wheel radius, the more torque and speed can be generated. This is because a larger wheel has a longer lever arm, which allows it to apply more torque to overcome the force of gravity on an incline. However, a larger wheel may also require more power to maintain the same speed as a smaller wheel.

3. Can a smaller wheel radius be used on an incline with torque and speed?

Yes, a smaller wheel radius can be used on an incline with torque and speed. However, it may not be able to generate as much torque and speed as a larger wheel. This can be compensated by using a higher torque motor or increasing the speed of the motor.

4. What is the relationship between torque, speed, and wheel radius on an incline?

The relationship between torque, speed, and wheel radius on an incline can be described by the equation T = r x F, where T is torque, r is the wheel radius, and F is the force of gravity. This means that as the wheel radius increases, the torque also increases, allowing for greater speed on an incline.

5. Are there any limitations on the maximum wheel radius that can be used on an incline with torque and speed?

Yes, there are limitations on the maximum wheel radius that can be used on an incline with torque and speed. These limitations include the weight and size of the object being moved, the incline angle, and the power available. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the appropriate wheel radius for an incline with torque and speed.