Maxima and minima of differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the differential equation y'=x-y^2 and the methods to solve it. The speaker mentions using the Riccati equation and Bernoulli equation to find a general solution, and also considers possible methods for solving the equation without a computer. They suggest examining the equation qualitatively to determine critical points and signs of derivatives. The speaker also mentions that they have not been able to solve the equation on their own.
trash

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation [itex]y'=x-y^2[/itex]. Find maxima, minima and critical points; show that for every solution [itex]f=f(t)[/itex] exists [itex]T\geq 0[/itex] such that [itex]f(t)< \sqrt{T}\;\forall t > T[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Riccati equation: [itex]y'=a(x)y^2+b(x)y+c(x)[/itex]
The Bernoulli equation: [itex]y'=a(x)^n+b(x)y[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've been trying to study the differential equation given by [itex]y'=x-y^2[/itex] for a while, and I didn't was even close to a solution. Finally when I gave up I solved this equation with Wolfram Alpha, and it seems that the solution was quite intricate and doesn't seem possible to solve only with elementary functions, see Wolfram's solution.

Now my question is, what are the possible methods to use when I encounter a non-linear equation of like this?, is it possible to say something about it without the need of a computer?.

One thing I saw is that this is similar the Riccati equation [itex]y'=a(x)y^2+b(x)y+c(x)[/itex] using [itex]c(x)=x, a(x)=-1, b(x)=0[/itex]
and is possible to get a general solution if I know two other solutions: if [itex]f_1,f_2[/itex] are solutions then [itex]f=f_1+C(f_2-f_1)[/itex] is a general solution. The problem here is that I'd need to find particular solutions for the equations, something that I couldn't figure out how to do it in the general case.

Physics news on Phys.org
trash said:

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation [itex]y'=x-y^2[/itex]. Find maxima, minima and critical points; show that for every solution [itex]f=f(t)[/itex] exists [itex]T\geq 0[/itex] such that [itex]f(t)< \sqrt{T}\;\forall t > T[/itex]
The problem here is that I'd need to find particular solutions for the equations, something that I couldn't figure out how to do it in the general case.

I would suggest that you try to answer the questions without trying to solve the DE itself. I haven't worked it all the way through myself, but you can certainly find the points where a solution might have ##y'=0## and you can also figure out the sign of the second derivative at such points without solving the DE, so you can answer the critical point questions.

I'm not sure about that second part, but I wonder if your text has been discussing ways to examine the equation qualitatively without solving it. That's where I would look for possible techniques.

@trash: So have you given this any thought? Or have you just abandoned the thread?

1. What is the concept of maxima and minima in differential equations?

In differential equations, maxima and minima refer to the points on a curve where the slope is either zero or undefined. These points represent the highest or lowest values of the function, respectively.

2. How are maxima and minima calculated in differential equations?

Maxima and minima can be calculated by finding the critical points of the function, where the first derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These critical points can then be evaluated to determine if they are maxima or minima.

3. What is the significance of maxima and minima in differential equations?

Maxima and minima are important because they represent the optimal or extreme values of a function. In real-world applications, these points can indicate the most efficient or effective solutions to a problem.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one maximum or minimum?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple maxima or minima. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points or when the slope changes direction multiple times within a given interval.

5. How are maxima and minima used in optimization problems?

In optimization problems, maxima and minima are used to find the best possible solution to a given problem. By finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, we can determine the optimal input values that will produce the desired output.