1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximal Ideals and Maximal Subspaces in normed algebras

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be a unital commutative Banach Algebra and I a maximal ideal of A. Prove that I is a maximal subspace of A. Is this result still valid if A is not Banach or commutative or unital?

2. Relevant equations

The first part is pretty easy: Maximal ideals are of the form kerτ for some character τ:A→C, and then A=kerτ+C1, so kerτ is a maximal subspace.

If A is not commutative, we have a counter-example: The algebra M2(C) is simple, so the unique maximal ideal of M2(C) is {0}, which is not a maximal subspace.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I couldn't solve the rest of the question: If A is Banach and commutative but non-unital, maybe I could consider its unitization and associate maximal ideals of A and A˜, but I couldn't do that.

The only example of commutative, unital, non-Banach normed algebra I can think of is C[x], the polynomial algebra in one variable (with any of the usual norms), but the only maximal ideals of C[x] are of the form p(x)C[x] with degree(p)=1, and these are maximal subspaces.

Any hints are appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?