Maximal Ideals - Exercise 5.1 (iii) Rotman AMA

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation discusses Exercise 5.1 in Joseph J. Rotman's book, Advanced Modern Algebra. The exercise involves finding prime ideals and maximal ideals in a Euclidean domain, specifically the ring $F[x]$ over a field $F$. The conversation also mentions the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and how it relates to solving part (iii) of the exercise. There is also a discussion about the differences between $\Bbb C[x]$ and $\Bbb R[x]$ in terms of irreducible polynomials.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra (AMA) and I am currently focused on Section 5.1 Prime Ideals and Maximal Ideals ...

I need some help with Exercise 5.1, Part (iii) ... ...Exercise 5.1 reads as follows:
View attachment 5943Can someone please help me to get a start on this exercise ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

over a field $F$, the ring $F[x]$ is a Euclidean domain (with Euclidean function $\text{deg}$), and thus a fortiori a principal ideal domain, and also a unique factorization domain.

So maximal ideals are generated by irreducible polynomials, which *are* the prime ideals as well, since irreducibles are prime and vice-versa.

Due to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, part (iii) is actually easier than part (ii).

Deveno said:
Hint:

over a field $F$, the ring $F[x]$ is a Euclidean domain (with Euclidean function $\text{deg}$), and thus a fortiori a principal ideal domain, and also a unique factorization domain.

So maximal ideals are generated by irreducible polynomials, which *are* the prime ideals as well, since irreducibles are prime and vice-versa.

Due to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, part (iii) is actually easier than part (ii).
Thanks for the help, Deveno ... appreciate it

Not quite sure what you are saying about Part (ii) though ... again we have a PID and so again, as you say, the maximal ideals are generated by irreducible polynomials, which *are* the prime ideals as well, since irreducibles are prime and vice-versa ... so answer seems the same ...

Can you clarify ...

Peter

$\Bbb C[x]$ has a lesser variety of irreducible polynomials that $\Bbb R[x]$ does. For example, $x^2 + 1 = (x + i)(x - i)$ is reducible in $\Bbb C[x]$, but is irreducible in $\Bbb R[x]$.

This is because $\Bbb C$ is algebraically closed, and $\Bbb R$ is not.

Related to Maximal Ideals - Exercise 5.1 (iii) Rotman AMA

1. What is a maximal ideal in abstract algebra?

A maximal ideal in abstract algebra is a proper subset of a ring that is not contained in any other proper ideal. It is the largest possible ideal within a given ring.

2. How is a maximal ideal different from a prime ideal?

A prime ideal is a proper subset of a ring in which any two elements that multiply to produce an element in the ideal must themselves be in the ideal. A maximal ideal, on the other hand, is only required to be contained in no other proper ideal.

3. How can I determine if an ideal is maximal?

To determine if an ideal is maximal, you can use the definition of a maximal ideal and check if the ideal is not contained in any other proper ideal. Alternatively, you can use the fact that in a commutative ring, an ideal is maximal if and only if the quotient ring is a field.

4. What is the significance of maximal ideals in abstract algebra?

Maximal ideals play an important role in the study of rings and fields. They provide a way to classify and understand the structure of these algebraic structures. Maximal ideals also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory.

5. Can a maximal ideal be prime?

Yes, a maximal ideal can be prime, but it is not always the case. In fact, in a ring with unity, a maximal ideal is prime if and only if the ring is a local ring, meaning it has a unique maximal ideal. In general, a maximal ideal can be prime, but it is not required to be.