Finitely Generated Ideals and Noetherian Rings

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Peter's problem with the proof of Proposition 5.33 is that he doesn't understand how an infinite set can be finitely generated. Rotman's explanation is misleading because it doesn't make it clear that an infinite set can be finitely generated.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra (AMA) and I am currently focused on Section 5.3 Noetherian Rings ...I need some help with understanding the proof of Proposition 5.33 ... ...Proposition 5.33 reads as follows:View attachment 6008
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6009
In the above text from Rotman, in the proof of (ii) \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) (iii) we read the following ..."... ... The ideal

\(\displaystyle J = \{ m + ra \ : \ m \in M \text{ and } r \in R \} \subseteq I\)is finitely generated. ... ...
Can someone please explain to me why it follows that \(\displaystyle J\) is finitely generated ... ...... ... Rotman's assertion that \(\displaystyle J\) is finitely generated puzzles me since, although \(\displaystyle M\) is finitely generated it may have an infinite number of elements each of which is necessary to generate \(\displaystyle J \) as they appear in the formula above ... so how can we argue that \(\displaystyle J\) is finitely generated ... it seems it may not be if \(\displaystyle M\) is an infinite set ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
... ... Rotman's assertion that \(\displaystyle J\) is finitely generated puzzles me since, although \(\displaystyle M\) is finitely generated it may have an infinite number of elements each of which is necessary to generate \(\displaystyle J \) as they appear in the formula above ... so how can we argue that \(\displaystyle J\) is finitely generated ... it seems it may not be if \(\displaystyle M\) is an infinite set ...
Peter

To help with the intuition as to how an infinite set is finitely generated, think about the Cartesian plane. There are infinitely many points (x,y) in this set, but it is finitely generated by all possible linear combinations of (1,0) & (0,1).

To answer your question specific to the text, since $M$ is finitely generated there are finitely many elements $m_{1},\ldots, m_{n}$ in $M$ such that every element of $M$ can be written as a linear combination of these elements whose coefficients come from the ring. Now add to this finite list the single element $a$. Then every element in $J$ can be expressed as a linear combination of $a,m_{1},\ldots,m_{n}.$

GJA said:
Hi Peter,
To help with the intuition as to how an infinite set is finitely generated, think about the Cartesian plane. There are infinitely many points (x,y) in this set, but it is finitely generated by all possible linear combinations of (1,0) & (0,1).

To answer your question specific to the text, since $M$ is finitely generated there are finitely many elements $m_{1},\ldots, m_{n}$ in $M$ such that every element of $M$ can be written as a linear combination of these elements whose coefficients come from the ring. Now add to this finite list the single element $a$. Then every element in $J$ can be expressed as a linear combination of $a,m_{1},\ldots,m_{n}.$
Hi GJA ... thanks for the help ...

I must say that your explanation is many times clearer than Rotman's explanation which is somewhat misleading ...

Thanks again ... appreciate your assistance ...

Peter

1. What is a finitely generated ideal?

A finitely generated ideal is an ideal in a ring that can be generated by a finite number of elements. In other words, there exists a finite set of elements such that every element in the ideal can be written as a linear combination of these generators.

2. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a ring in which every ideal is finitely generated. This means that every ideal in a Noetherian ring can be generated by a finite number of elements, making it easier to study and understand the properties of the ring.

3. How are finitely generated ideals and Noetherian rings related?

Finitely generated ideals are a key concept in the study of Noetherian rings. In fact, a ring is Noetherian if and only if every ideal is finitely generated. This makes finitely generated ideals an important tool for understanding the structure and properties of Noetherian rings.

4. What are some examples of Noetherian rings?

Examples of Noetherian rings include polynomial rings over a field, such as the ring of polynomials in one variable over the real numbers, and rings of integers, such as the ring of integers modulo n. Many other rings in algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry are also Noetherian.

5. What are the applications of studying finitely generated ideals and Noetherian rings?

The study of finitely generated ideals and Noetherian rings has many important applications in mathematics and other fields. For example, Noetherian rings are used in algebraic number theory to study number fields and algebraic curves, and in algebraic geometry to study varieties and schemes. Noetherian rings are also important in commutative algebra and ring theory, and have connections to topics such as algebraic topology and representation theory.