Maximising an area - goat in field

In summary, the goat is able to eat half of the grass in the field if it has a rope that is 10 meters long.
lavster

Homework Statement

this isn't a homeowrk question as such - its a question that my Grandpa asked me.

You have a circular field, and a goat tied up to a post which is somewhere on the cirumference of the field. How long does is the rope if the goat is able to eat exactly half of the grass in the field

Homework Equations

area of field = pi * r^2, and say for arguments sake that the radius of the field is 10 meters. let r be radius of field and R be radius goats rope

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that you would maximise by differentiating at first, or solving a quadratic but unsuprisingly its not that simple!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a nice drawing of the field with grass and goat and string? It would show how to solve this problem.

ehild

Last edited:
What you are really asking about is the area of the intersection of two circles. Let's take the field to be a circle of radius R. The region the goat can eat the portion of a circle of radius r with center on the circumference of the first circle that is contained within the circle. I would be inclined to do this as coordinate geometry: Set up a coordinate system so that the first circle has center at the origin, take the center of the second circle to be at (0, R) and write the equations of both circles. You might need to integrate to find the area of the intersection in terms of r and R. Then set that equal to [itex]\pi R^2/2[/itex] and solve for r.

Here is a picture... The shaded area is R2π/4, and it is the sum of two circle sectors minus the area of the triangle OAB. No need of calculus, but the equation to be solved is rather ugly.

ehild

Attachments

• goat.JPG
    goat.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 385

Related to Maximising an area - goat in field

1. How do I calculate the maximum area of a goat in a field?

To calculate the maximum area of a goat in a field, you will need to know the length and width of the field. Then, use the formula A = lw to find the area. This will give you the maximum area for the goat to roam in the field.

2. What factors should I consider when trying to maximize the area for a goat in a field?

Factors to consider include the size of the goat, the terrain of the field, and any obstacles or hazards that may affect the goat's movement. It is also important to ensure that the goat has access to food, water, and shelter within the designated area.

3. How can I optimize the area for multiple goats in a field?

If you have multiple goats in a field, you can optimize the area by using fencing or natural barriers to separate the goats into different areas. This will prevent overcrowding and ensure that each goat has enough space to move around and graze.

4. Is it better to have a large open field or a smaller enclosed area for a goat?

This depends on the specific needs and behavior of the goat. Some goats may prefer a larger open field to roam freely, while others may feel more secure in a smaller enclosed area. It is important to observe the goat's behavior and adjust the area accordingly.

5. Can I use mathematical equations to determine the best area for a goat in a field?

Yes, you can use mathematical equations to determine the best area for a goat in a field. However, it is also important to consider the goat's well-being and natural behavior when making decisions about their living space.