Maximize Return: Find A to Maximize Contract Award

• Thread starter ptlnguyen
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presents a formula for total contract award (f(x)) based on delivery date (x), with a given condition for receiving a reward. The task is to find the value of A that maximizes the contract award, which may depend on x. One approach is to take the derivative of f(x) and set it equal to 0, then solve for A. However, there is some confusion about how the given reward condition fits into the problem.
ptlnguyen

Homework Statement

Given:
f(x) = 1/2 - 1/4|A - x| where f(x) is total contract award, x = deliver date

if 5 < x < 7 then get a reward $500

Homework Equations

Find A such that it maximizes the contract award

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach: take derivative of f(x) and set it = 0 and solve for A
Am I correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ptlnguyen said:

Homework Statement

Given:
f(x) = 1/2 - 1/4|A - x| where f(x) is total contract award, x = deliver date

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach: take derivative of f(x) and set it = 0 and solve for A
Am I correct? Thanks

What did you get?

Also, I'm moving this to the Calculus & Beyond section.

ptlnguyen said:
I don't understand how that item of information fits in. Does it mean that the given formula for f(x) only applies outside that range?
Won't that depend on x? Or is it supposed to maximise the average award given some prob dist for x? (There's a very similar problem in another recent thread, and it's just as unclear.)

1. What is the meaning of "Maximize Return" in the context of finding A to maximize contract award?

In this context, "Maximize Return" refers to the process of identifying the most effective and efficient solution, referred to as "A", that will result in the highest possible contract award for a given project or task. This can include factors such as cost, quality, and timeliness.

2. How do you determine the best "A" to maximize contract award?

The determination of the best "A" to maximize contract award is typically based on a thorough analysis of various factors, including the project requirements, available resources, and potential risks. This can involve conducting research, evaluating different options, and consulting with stakeholders to make an informed decision.

3. What strategies can be used to maximize return and find the best "A" for a contract award?

Some common strategies for maximizing return and finding the best "A" for a contract award include conducting a cost-benefit analysis, leveraging technology and data analysis tools, seeking input from subject matter experts, and continuously monitoring and adjusting the approach as needed.

4. How does maximizing return impact the overall success of a project or task?

Maximizing return plays a crucial role in the success of a project or task, as it ensures that the most optimal solution is selected and implemented. This can lead to increased efficiency, cost savings, and overall improved outcomes, ultimately contributing to the success of the project or task.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to maximizing return in the context of contract award?

Yes, there can be some challenges or limitations to maximizing return in the context of contract award. These can include limited resources, time constraints, unforeseen obstacles, and conflicting priorities. However, by carefully considering these factors and implementing effective strategies, it is possible to overcome these challenges and achieve a successful contract award.