Maximizing My Physics Degree: Considering a Second Degree or Pursuing a PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter mzlk76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the speaker is a physics major at a small school and is considering their options after graduation. They could pursue a second degree in math or computer science, or go straight into a PhD program. Their current advisor believes they could finish a PhD quickly, but others have suggested going to a more prestigious school. The speaker is also concerned about job prospects for physics majors. Ultimately, they are torn between staying at their current school or pursuing other opportunities.
mzlk76
I am currently a physics major at a fairly small school, that is not know for its physics program. I got into better schools, but I chose this one due to financial reasons. I'm on track to graduate in the spring, and I'm a bit torn between a few options that I have.

I can easily finish a second degree. A math degree would only take me 1 extra semester and 3 courses during the summer, and a CS degree would take me 3 extra semesters (I'm on track to graduate early anyway). Would this be a good idea? I've heard lots of physics majors have a hard time getting a job after they complete their degree, would this be a good backup plan if academia doesn't work out?

My other option is to go for a PhD right away. I've been working with the same advisor for about 2 years now, and I really like my research. My advisor believes that if I were to stay with him for graduate school, I could finish my PhD quite quickly (his estimation is ~3 years for a masters+PhD). Other people have told me that it isn't a good idea to get an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree from the same school, and that I should apply to a more "prestigious" graduate school. How true is this? If my ultimate goal was to do research (university or industry) would it hurt me in the long run if I were to stay here for graduate school?

Feedback would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many risks involved in doing a PhD. One of the major issues (in my opinion) is that you have to find a research subject and an advisor who fit you well. If you change to another school, you run the risk of getting an advisor or a topic which could make you disinterested in research. Right now, you have an advisor/topic that you really like. So changing school is a considerable risk in my opinion.
On the other hand, a more prestigious school could give you more options down the road. And it might give you a different perspective on things if you switch schools.

It's up to you really. If it were my choice, I would stay in the school you're in now.

It's also not true that physics bachelor holders have a hard time getting jobs, either. It gets perpetuated around these forums a lot, and it's crap. Here's a breakdown from the American Institute of Physics showing what people with a BS in physics do right after graduating. https://www.aip.org/sites/default/files/statistics/employment/bachinitemp-p-12.1.pdf

And one year on
https://www.aip.org/sites/default/files/statistics/employment/bach1yrafterdeg-p-12.2.pdf

A math degree would probably be helpful although not essential if you're interested in further academic work in theoretical physics. A CS degree is probably overkill as just a few programming classes and spending some time on personal projects to demonstrate your skills will be enough to get a foot in local businesses on the computing side. You probably won't be getting a job at Google but hey they hire people with all kinds of weird backgrounds, a CS degree will probably not make a difference.

In either case just taking a handful of extra courses for a minor would probably be sufficient anyway.

Related to Maximizing My Physics Degree: Considering a Second Degree or Pursuing a PhD

What are "Several Degrees"?

"Several Degrees" refers to a range of temperature degrees, typically between 2 and 10 degrees, that are considered to be significantly different from each other.

Why is it important to measure temperature in several degrees?

Measuring temperature in several degrees allows for a more precise understanding of temperature changes and variations. This is important in fields such as meteorology, climate science, and materials science.

How is temperature measured in several degrees?

Temperature can be measured in several degrees using a thermometer or other temperature measuring device, which typically has markings or increments of one degree. Scientists can also use mathematical models and calculations to determine temperature differences in several degrees.

Can several degrees make a significant difference in temperature?

Yes, several degrees can make a significant difference in temperature. For example, a temperature increase of just a few degrees can have a major impact on weather patterns, ecosystem health, and human comfort levels.

What are some examples of temperature changes in several degrees?

Examples of temperature changes in several degrees include the difference between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius (the difference between freezing and slightly above freezing) and the difference between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius (the difference between a comfortable room temperature and a hot summer day).