Maximizing a Function Using Infinity Approach

• Thread starter rye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the student is trying to find the global maximum of a function with two variables by using the infinity approach. However, they are stuck at the step where they have got x = y = 1. They need help from someone more experienced to continue.
rye

Homework Statement

max f(x, y) = 2xy + 2y − x^2 − 2y^2
I need to get the value of x and y and determine if it gives the global maximum by using the infinity approach only.
Boundary is Negative infinity and Positive infinity

Homework Equations

max f(x, y) = 2xy + 2y − x^2 − 2y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am aware of the first step:
Partial differentiate with respect to x ++++++ 2y − 2x = 0
Partial differentiate with respect to y ++++++ 2x+ 2− 4y = 0
Solving both the equations will give x = y = 1

From here, I do not know how to use f(±INFINITY,±INFINITY) to determine if x = y = 1 yields the global maximum.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I have an exam next week on this.

Thanks Rye.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are using partial derivatives, this is hardly "pre-calculus"! I am going to move to this to calculus and beyond.

I don't know what your teacher means by "the infinity approach" but you DON'T "use f(±INFINITY,±INFINITY)" such a thing does not exist. You can, however, look at LIMITS as x and y go to infinity. In particular, along the line y= x, the function becomes f(x, x) = 2x2 + 2x − x2 − 2x2= 2x- 2x2. What happens to that as x goes to infinity? I particularly suggested y= x because f(x,y) = 2y- (x-y)2.

Again, this may not be the "infinity approach" but letting u= x-y, v= x+ y and writing f as a function f u and v might be enlightening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was the functions end points are positive and negative infinity. In order to test if f(1,1) qualifies to be the max value, I have to test out f(+∞,+∞) and f(-∞,-∞).

I guess what your mean by as x and y approaches infinity makes sense with f(+∞,+∞) and f(-∞,-∞).

However, I do not know what is the step from here. Pls enlighten. Thanks!

NO, what I meant was that f(+[itex]\infty[/itex], +[itex]\infty[/itex]) have no meaning. You may be using them as shorthand for limits but you should be clear about that. Actually, since this is a function of two variables, you need more than just the limits as x and y individually go to infinity. You need to consider the possibility of (x,y) going infinitely far from (0,0) along any path. Have you looked at my last suggestion? If you take u= x-y and v= x+ y, then 2y= v- u, 2x= u+v and 2xy= (v^2- 8y^2)/2 so f(x,y)= 2xy- (x-y)^2= v^2/2- u^2/2- u^2= v^2/2- 3u^2/2. What kind of figure is that?

Hi HallsofIvy,

I am totally confused. I do not know where did u= x-y and v= x+ y come from ?

I am stuck at the step where I have got x = y = 1. From here how can I determine that indeed f(1,1) gives the global maximum? I would be grateful if you could tell me step by step.. Plsss

Tks.

Rye

anyone can help pls??

What is "maximizing the function"?

Maximizing the function refers to finding the maximum value of a mathematical function. It involves finding the input value(s) that produce the highest output value.

Why is "maximizing the function" important in science?

Maximizing the function is important in science because it allows us to optimize and improve various systems and processes. By finding the maximum value of a function, we can identify the optimal conditions for a particular experiment or process.

What are some methods for "maximizing the function"?

There are several methods for maximizing the function, including calculus techniques such as taking derivatives and finding critical points, as well as numerical methods like gradient descent and genetic algorithms.

Can "maximizing the function" be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, maximizing the function can be applied to many real-world problems, such as optimizing production processes, designing efficient transportation routes, and predicting the stock market.

Are there limitations to "maximizing the function"?

Yes, there are limitations to maximizing the function. It may not always be possible to find the absolute maximum value, and the function itself may have constraints or limitations that affect its maximum value. Additionally, the process of maximizing a function may be computationally intensive and time-consuming.