Maximizing the "goodness" of a recommendation letter

In summary: I think it's important to say that I came up with it. There's a lot of thought behind it, and what I basically mean is that we put a lot of effort into pleasing our professors, for instance by hiding our flaws and trying to ask questions they 'like'. I believe that if instead we prioritize our understanding, and start asking more 'stupid' questions if necessary, we'll be helping our careers a lot, and even good reference letters would follow...I think I understand what you're getting at, though I'm not sure I'd phrase it that way.Being aware of (and exerting some control over) the impression that you make on others is a valuable skill. If you give undergraduate students the advice
danielri1011101
Hello everyone, since recommendation letters are usually important when applying for graduate studies, I'd like to ask the following:

What do you guys think of the statement
'The best way to maximize the "goodnes" of your recommendation letter is by not caring about it'
?

I guess it's important to say that I came up with it. There's a lot of thought behind it, and what I basically mean is that we put a lot of effort into 'pleasing' our professors, for instance by hiding our flaws and trying to ask questions they "like". I believe that if instead we prioritize our understanding, and start asking more "stupid" questions if necessary, we'll be helping our careers a lot, and even good recommendation letters would follow...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand what you're getting at, though I'm not sure I'd phrase it that way.

Being aware of (and exerting some control over) the impression that you make on others is a valuable skill. If you give undergraduate students the advice to ignore this, I think too many would take it too literally. While there are "no such things as stupid questions"... there are questions that students ask without first doing their homework. And this can certainly create the perception that the students are expecting to be spoon-fed answers.

But you are right that going too far to ask the "right" questions is probably not helping you in the long run.

The best way to maximize the quality of your reference letters is to be as awesome as you can.

Likes Dr. Courtney and danielri1011101
Choppy said:
I think I understand what you're getting at, though I'm not sure I'd phrase it that way.

Being aware of (and exerting some control over) the impression that you make on others is a valuable skill. If you give undergraduate students the advice to ignore this, I think too many would take it too literally. While there are "no such things as stupid questions"... there are questions that students ask without first doing their homework. And this can certainly create the perception that the students are expecting to be spoon-fed answers.

But you are right that going too far to ask the "right" questions is probably not helping you in the long run.

The best way to maximize the quality of your reference letters is to be as awesome as you can.
Thank you very much Choppy. I completely agree with you on the importance of 'doing your homework'. If one really cares about a scientific career, being spoon-fed is simply wrong: struggling is necessary for serious understanding. Maybe a better phrasing would be something like
'If you prioritize your understanding, your professor will notice'
?

I decided to start the thread because lately I feel that we are too approval-seeking for our own good (at least in my field, which is math).

1. How do I ensure my recommendation letter is effective?

To maximize the "goodness" of a recommendation letter, it is important to provide specific and detailed examples of the individual's skills, qualities, and achievements. Use concrete examples and avoid generalizations. Additionally, the letter should be well-structured and organized, with a clear introduction, body, and conclusion.

2. Is it better to have a recommendation letter from a higher-ranked individual?

While a recommendation letter from a higher-ranked individual may hold more weight, it is more important to have a letter from someone who knows the individual well and can speak to their abilities and character. Focus on securing a letter from someone who can provide a strong and genuine endorsement.

3. Should I include negative aspects in a recommendation letter?

It is generally not advisable to include negative aspects in a recommendation letter. The purpose of the letter is to highlight the individual's strengths and qualifications, so it is best to focus on positive attributes. If there are any potential weaknesses that need to be addressed, it is best to do so in a constructive and tactful manner.

4. How important is the format and presentation of a recommendation letter?

The format and presentation of a recommendation letter can play a role in its effectiveness. It is important to use a professional and appropriate tone, as well as proper formatting and grammar. The letter should also be well-organized and easy to read. However, the content and substance of the letter are ultimately more important than the format.

5. Can I ask for a recommendation letter from someone who doesn't know me well?

It is not recommended to ask for a recommendation letter from someone who doesn't know you well. A strong letter should come from someone who has had significant interactions and experiences with you, and can provide specific examples of your abilities and character. If you do not have a strong relationship with a potential recommender, it is better to seek a letter from someone who knows you better.