Maximizing Volume of a Cuboid - Nthabiseng P's Q&A

In summary, the dimensions of the cuboid with the same surface area as the first box, but with different dimensions, are the shortest length, width, and height.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Mathematics -derivatives?

Hi

Can someone help me to solve the following problem please

A box in the shape of a cuboid has dimensions:
Height: 50 cm
Width: 30 cm
Height: 20 cm
a) Calculate the total transmission restriction area and volume. ( i have done this)

need help with number b

b) Construct a new box with the same restriction area as the first box, but with different dimensions. Which dimensions of the box (length, width and height) give the largest possible volume?

(Hint: second box smallest side will be square. Calling the short side length of x and the long side length of y)Here's how far I've come:

a)
V = 20 * 30 * 50 = 30000 cm ^ 3
A = 2 (20 * 30) +2 (20 * 50) +2 (30 * 50) = 6200cm ^ 2

b)
V = x ^ 2 * y
A = 2 (x * x) +2 (x * y) +2 (x * y) = 2x ^ 2 +4 xy = 6200 cm ^ 2

I should use the derivatives but I do not know how.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello nthabiseng p,

Let's first verify the given hint is true. For this I suggest using Lagrange multipliers. I will let the non-negative dimensions of the cuboid be $x,y,z$.

We have the objective function:

\(\displaystyle V(x,y,z)=xyz\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y,z)=2xy+2xz+2yz-S=0\) where $S$ is the surface area to which we are restricted.

Thus, we find the system:

\(\displaystyle yz=(2y+2z)\lambda\)

\(\displaystyle xz=(2x+2z)\lambda\)

\(\displaystyle xy=(2x+2y)\lambda\)

This system implies that for non-zero dimension values, we must have:

\(\displaystyle x=y=z\)

So we know the given hint is true. Substituting into the constraint, we find:

\(\displaystyle 6x^2=S\,\therefore\,x=\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}\)

Thus, we should find the dimensions of the cuboid having a given surface area $S$ to be:

\(\displaystyle x=y=z=\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}\)

Now, assuming we are to use single-variable calculus instead, along with the given hint ($z=x$), we could write:

\(\displaystyle V=x^2y\)

\(\displaystyle S=2x^2+4xy\)

Solving the second equation for $y$, we find:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{S-2x^2}{4x}\)

Substituting for $y$ into the first equation, there results:

\(\displaystyle V(x)=x^2\left(\frac{S-2x^2}{4x} \right)=\frac{1}{4}\left(Sx-2x^3 \right)\)

Now, differentiating and equating to zero to find the critical point, we get:

\(\displaystyle V'(x)=\frac{1}{4}\left(S-6x^2 \right)=0\)

Since we require \(\displaystyle 0\le x\) we get the critical value:

\(\displaystyle x=\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}\)

Now, using the second-derivative test, we find:

\(\displaystyle V''(x)=-3x\)

We see the function is concave down for any positive value of $x$, thus we know our critical value is at a maximum, which is global.

And so, using the value for $y(x)$, we find:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{S-\frac{S}{3}}{4\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}}=\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}\)

Hence, we find that:

\(\displaystyle x=y=z=\sqrt{\frac{S}{6}}\)

Using the value \(\displaystyle S=6200\text{ cm}^2\) we then find:

\(\displaystyle x=y=z=\frac{10\sqrt{93}}{3}\,\text{cm}\).

1. How do you calculate the maximum volume of a cuboid?

The maximum volume of a cuboid can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cuboid together. This can be represented by the formula V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

2. What is the difference between maximizing volume and maximizing surface area of a cuboid?

Maximizing volume refers to finding the largest possible capacity of a cuboid, while maximizing surface area refers to finding the largest possible area on the outside of the cuboid. These two objectives often result in different dimensions for the cuboid.

3. How do you find the dimensions that maximize the volume of a cuboid?

To find the dimensions that maximize the volume of a cuboid, you can use the calculus concept of optimization. This involves taking the derivative of the volume formula and setting it equal to 0, then solving for the dimensions.

4. What are some real-life applications of maximizing the volume of a cuboid?

Maximizing the volume of a cuboid is a common problem in architecture and engineering, as it allows for the most efficient use of space. It can also be applied in manufacturing to optimize the capacity of storage containers or transport vehicles.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing the volume of a cuboid?

Yes, there are limitations to maximizing the volume of a cuboid. For example, the dimensions must be physically possible and the materials used must be able to support the weight of the cuboid when filled to maximum capacity. Additionally, certain constraints or requirements may limit the dimensions that can be used to maximize the volume.