Maximum Compression of buffers for a Train

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum compression of buffers for a train with 1.2kg mass and traveling at 0.45m/s, with a spring constant of 4.8x10^3 Nm^-1. The equation used is 1/2kx^2, but the confusion arises in determining the placement of the kinetic energy in the equation. The solution involves using the conservation of energy equation, EK + EP = E_total, and applying it to two different situations.
JamesC

Homework Statement

I need to work out the maximum compression of buffers for a train with 1.2kg mass, traveling at 0.45m/s and the spring constant, k, is 4.8x10^3 Nm^-1

Homework Equations

I tried using 1/2kx^2 but I don't know if I am doing it right

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't attempt the question because I don't know how the velocity is put into the equation, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
use conservation of energy

you'll need the v to plug it in the formula for kinetic energy

marlon

But that's what I don't understand about the question, I worked out the kinetic energy, but where is it placed in the equation which I attempted with?

JamesC said:
But that's what I don't understand about the question, I worked out the kinetic energy, but where is it placed in the equation which I attempted with?

EK + EP = E_total

The trick is to apply the above equation onto two different situations :

EK_initial + EP_initial = EK_final + EP_final

marlon

What is maximum compression in the context of train buffers?

Maximum compression refers to the amount of force or energy that a train buffer can absorb before it reaches its limit and can no longer compress any further. It is an important factor in the design and safety of train buffers.

Why is maximum compression important for train buffers?

Maximum compression is important because it determines the level of impact a train can withstand during collisions or sudden braking. It also helps to prevent damage to the train and its passengers.

How is maximum compression measured for train buffers?

Maximum compression is typically measured in kilonewtons (kN) or megapascals (MPa) and is determined through rigorous testing and simulations. The results are then used to set safety standards and guidelines for train buffers.

What factors can affect the maximum compression of train buffers?

The material and design of the train buffer, as well as the speed and weight of the train, can all affect the maximum compression. Other factors include the condition of the tracks and the type of coupling system used.

What are the consequences of not having a sufficient maximum compression for train buffers?

If a train buffer does not have a sufficient maximum compression, it may not be able to absorb enough energy during collisions or sudden braking, resulting in damage to the train and potential injuries to passengers. It can also lead to derailments and other accidents.