Maximum distance an object travels when released by a spring force.

In summary, a block of mass 0.247 kg is placed on top of a light, vertical spring of force constant 5 050 N/m and compressed by 0.109 m. Using the conservation of energy, it can be calculated that the maximum height the block reaches above the point of release is 12.39 m. The equation used for this calculation is k= 2mg (Yc-Ya)/x^2, where k is the force constant, m is the mass of the block, x is the distance the spring is compressed, and Ya is the resting position of the spring. It is important to clarify whether the 0.109 m is compressed from the relaxed position before or after the weight is
Yankeedogg
1. A block of mass 0.247 kg is placed on top of a light, vertical spring of force constant 5 050 N/m and pushed downward so that the spring is compressed by 0.109 m. After the block is released from rest, it travels upward and then leaves the spring. To what maximum height above the point of release does it rise? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)

2. Not sure how to set up an equation to solve for the distance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
That's a problem that gives many students pause.
Not sure how to set up an equation to solve for the distance.
... hint: conservation of energy.

Is that 0.109m compressed from the relaxed position before the weight is placed, or is it after the weight is placed? Need to find out, especially since the answer calls for 2 decimal-place accuracy.

Rude Man, the question is posted exactly how i received it.

I got it. Yc=kx^2/2mg+Ya where k=5050N/m, x=.109, m=0.247kg, g=9.8m/s^2 and Ya= 0m because Ya is where the spring returns to its resting position and Yb is where the spring is compressed to 0.109m. Therefore, the maximum height above the spring the object reaches is 12.39m.

Equation was taken from k= 2mg (Yc-Ya)/x^2

How did you come to choose that equation?
(i.e. did you understand the problem?)

From a similar problem on an example in my textbook.

Yankeedogg said:
Rude Man, the question is posted exactly how i received it.

Then you should ask. I admit it doesn't make too much difference since the spring is so strong and the mass so light - but to 2 decimal points I think it might well.

Mr Bridge, what are you assuming?

@Yankeedog: so that's a "no" then? You do not understand why the similar problem was solved using that relation? Then how do you know it's the right one?

Did you try applying conservation of energy to help you understand the problem?
Do you see what difference rude man's observation makes to the answer?

@rude man: I try not to assume - unless donkeys are involved.

Simon Bridge;4327699@rude man: I try not to assume - unless donkeys are involved.[/QUOTE said:
Got it (I heard it on Benny Hill)!. But - how will you handle the OP if he/she comes up with a numerical answer?

how will you handle the OP if he/she comes up with a numerical answer?
OP did - post #5 ;)

What is the maximum distance an object can travel when released by a spring force?

The maximum distance an object can travel when released by a spring force is determined by the properties of the spring and the object. This includes the spring constant, or how stiff the spring is, and the mass of the object. The maximum distance can be calculated using the formula x = F/k, where x is the maximum distance, F is the spring force, and k is the spring constant.

Does the maximum distance an object travels depend on the initial position?

Yes, the maximum distance an object travels when released by a spring force does depend on the initial position. This is because the initial position determines the amount of potential energy stored in the spring, which affects the maximum distance the object can travel. The greater the initial displacement, the greater the maximum distance the object can travel.

Can external factors affect the maximum distance an object travels when released by a spring force?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance and friction can affect the maximum distance an object travels when released by a spring force. These factors can decrease the amount of energy available to the object, causing it to travel a shorter distance than expected. In a vacuum, with no external factors, the object would travel the maximum distance determined by the properties of the spring and the object.

How does the mass of the object affect the maximum distance it travels when released by a spring force?

The mass of the object does affect the maximum distance it travels when released by a spring force. The heavier the object, the more force is needed to compress the spring, resulting in a shorter maximum distance. This can be seen in the formula x = F/k, where a greater mass would lead to a smaller maximum distance.

Can the maximum distance an object travels be greater than the initial displacement?

No, the maximum distance an object travels when released by a spring force cannot be greater than the initial displacement. This is because the spring force can only provide a certain amount of energy, and once that energy is used up, the object will stop moving. The maximum distance can be equal to the initial displacement if all of the energy is used to move the object in a single direction.